Busiest Uncontrolled Field?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flyeys

Having trouble finding which uncontrolled field is the busiest. I need to know for a paper I am writing. Any suggestions would help a lot!

I think I heard there is a very busy untowered airport in Provo, Utah. Don't remember the name though, sorry.

Yes, I was just about to post Provo Muni (KPVU.) I think that a tower has been built but is not in operation yet, but it's been a little while since I've been back so I can't be sure. I got my private through CFI at that airport. It wasn't really that busy when I was doing my private--in fact, I was the only person in the pattern for my first solo. But by the time I was working on my CFI, it had become unreasonably busy, and you had to just say "screw it" and go to Spanish Fork if you wanted to get anything done. My CFI checkride was on the first day of right traffic on 13 (the "preferred" runway). If that wasn't mayhem I don't know what was! Passed though.

I think a big part of the problem at Provo, at least when I was around, was improper radio technique. These east coast CTAF freqs are every bit as crowded as Provo's, if not more, (especially when there are so many airports with the same CTAF frequency) but it works if you keep it brief and use proper phraseology.

-Goose

Last edited:
You may wanna check out Glaveston, TX (GLS). Numerous GA and 135 helicopter ops working together. Makes for some interesting patterns and entries. Better hurry though, the new tower will be in operation in the next couple weeks.

glenn

I'm sure not the busiest, but X47 (Flagler) and DED (Deland) are pretty bad here in east central Florida, with Riddle, DCA, and various other flight schools around.

Just for the record: Flagler(X47)- 520 Aircraft Ops/day
Deland(KDED)- 213/day
Galveston(GLS)- 184/day
And for comparison: Atlanta-Hartsfield(KATL)- 2642

Thanks for the replies. And for the record, AirNav.com is a great website for airport info.

DED and OCF

I would vote for Deland, FL and Ocala, Fl....where 152s and GV's share the pattern on the weekends.

Lantana, FL can be a zoo. Used to live and work in Palm Beach County and having moved there from Ohio and a nice cozy towered field with the most laid back controllers there ever were...it took some getting used to.

Latest resources

Back