Busiest Uncontrolled Field?

Flyeys

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 28, 2004
Posts
96
Total Time
mins
Having trouble finding which uncontrolled field is the busiest. I need to know for a paper I am writing. Any suggestions would help a lot!
 

ePilot22

BuyTheTicket~TakeTheRide
Joined
Dec 16, 2004
Posts
903
Total Time
nfinit
I think I heard there is a very busy untowered airport in Provo, Utah. Don't remember the name though, sorry.
 

Goose Egg

Big Jens
Joined
Jul 21, 2004
Posts
1,719
Total Time
3k-ish
Yes, I was just about to post Provo Muni (KPVU.) I think that a tower has been built but is not in operation yet, but it's been a little while since I've been back so I can't be sure. I got my private through CFI at that airport. It wasn't really that busy when I was doing my private--in fact, I was the only person in the pattern for my first solo. But by the time I was working on my CFI, it had become unreasonably busy, and you had to just say "screw it" and go to Spanish Fork if you wanted to get anything done. My CFI checkride was on the first day of right traffic on 13 (the "preferred" runway). If that wasn't mayhem I don't know what was! Passed though.

I think a big part of the problem at Provo, at least when I was around, was improper radio technique. These east coast CTAF freqs are every bit as crowded as Provo's, if not more, (especially when there are so many airports with the same CTAF frequency) but it works if you keep it brief and use proper phraseology.

-Goose
 
Last edited:

airmedplt

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2003
Posts
50
Total Time
6200
You may wanna check out Glaveston, TX (GLS). Numerous GA and 135 helicopter ops working together. Makes for some interesting patterns and entries. Better hurry though, the new tower will be in operation in the next couple weeks.

glenn
 

gkrangers

college = debt
Joined
May 21, 2004
Posts
1,405
Total Time
some
I'm sure not the busiest, but X47 (Flagler) and DED (Deland) are pretty bad here in east central Florida, with Riddle, DCA, and various other flight schools around.
 

Flyeys

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 28, 2004
Posts
96
Total Time
mins
Just for the record: Flagler(X47)- 520 Aircraft Ops/day
Deland(KDED)- 213/day
Galveston(GLS)- 184/day
And for comparison: Atlanta-Hartsfield(KATL)- 2642

Thanks for the replies. And for the record, AirNav.com is a great website for airport info.
 

CFIcare

DMC driver
Joined
Jul 26, 2002
Posts
279
Total Time
88mph
DED and OCF

I would vote for Deland, FL and Ocala, Fl....where 152s and GV's share the pattern on the weekends.
 

FlyingFisherman

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 8, 2005
Posts
198
Total Time
100%
Lantana, FL can be a zoo. Used to live and work in Palm Beach County and having moved there from Ohio and a nice cozy towered field with the most laid back controllers there ever were...it took some getting used to.
 

Superpilot92

LONGCALL KING
Joined
Nov 7, 2004
Posts
3,719
Total Time
Dunno?
Georgetown, TX Just north of Austin. Very busy uncontrolled.

KGTU
 

DGdaPilot

Parrot Head Pilot
Joined
Feb 11, 2003
Posts
672
Total Time
5:00
Any uncontrolled airport that has a NIFA competition going on.
 

dmrogers

Sorry about that landing
Joined
Oct 17, 2005
Posts
16
Total Time
450
Goose Egg said:
Yes, I was just about to post Provo Muni (KPVU.) I think that a tower has been built but is not in operation yet, but it's been a little while since I've been back so I can't be sure. I got my private through CFI at that airport. It wasn't really that busy when I was doing my private--in fact, I was the only person in the pattern for my first solo. But by the time I was working on my CFI, it had become unreasonably busy, and you had to just say "screw it" and go to Spanish Fork if you wanted to get anything done. My CFI checkride was on the first day of right traffic on 13 (the "preferred" runway). If that wasn't mayhem I don't know what was! Passed though.

I think a big part of the problem at Provo, at least when I was around, was improper radio technique. These east coast CTAF freqs are every bit as crowded as Provo's, if not more, (especially when there are so many airports with the same CTAF frequency) but it works if you keep it brief and use proper phraseology.

-Goose
Provo tower is up and running....
 

dkelly

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Posts
47
Total Time
450
Gaithersburg, Md can get pretty busy. GAI. Average Daily operation as reported by Airnav is 287/day.
 

Vicman

who's your Kuya ?!?
Joined
Sep 6, 2002
Posts
81
Total Time
3500+
busiest uncontrolled field..!

O-R-D. .hah.ha !
 

Illini Pilot

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 7, 2002
Posts
245
Total Time
2000
i dunno about busiest in the US, but i have to think that KLOT is the busiest uncontrolled airport in the Chicago area due to Lewis Univ ops and now with the longer runways, growing corporate and GA traffic. just checked airnav and it says 285 ops/day
 

Flechas

........
Joined
Aug 2, 2003
Posts
1,964
Total Time
$$$$$$
Flyeys said:
Just for the record: Flagler(X47)- 520 Aircraft Ops/day
Deland(KDED)- 213/day
Galveston(GLS)- 184/day
And for comparison: Atlanta-Hartsfield(KATL)- 2642

Thanks for the replies. And for the record, AirNav.com is a great website for airport info.
Interesting numbers, I used toavoid DED and OMN as an instructor, and had noproblem sending my students to X47. EVB has always been very busy (has a tower now, so does OMN), but that used to be a mad house.
 

Kingairrick

Rare user
Joined
Aug 22, 2002
Posts
886
Total Time
~8000
That can't be the correct number for Deland. Maybe without the skydive ops, or maybe just the skydive ops, but I'd say easy double of that number. As far as dangerous uncontrolled fields, MYAM.
 

gkrangers

college = debt
Joined
May 21, 2004
Posts
1,405
Total Time
some
Flechas said:
Interesting numbers, I used toavoid DED and OMN as an instructor, and had noproblem sending my students to X47. EVB has always been very busy (has a tower now, so does OMN), but that used to be a mad house.
Still is. People still show up in the pattern thinking its a CTAF...
 

Fly_Chick

Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2004
Posts
311
Total Time
~1300
I wonder how the calculate operations at a non-towered field. With that being said, I wonder how they calculate operations at a towered field after the tower closes. Are operations after the Tower closes calculated, or only those during the Tower operating hours?
 

blueraider

right rudder
Joined
Jun 28, 2005
Posts
47
Total Time
N/A
...

MBT can be pretty busy at times
 
Top