• This site moved from forums.flightinfo.com to flightinfo.com. Please update your bookmarks.

Bush planes

NCGAPilot

Active member
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Posts
26
Total Time
33
Hello, I think first off I should say that I never had any experience on building airplanes. I've worked on cars before. Cars before 1985, but not on airplanes. Right now I am looking for a Bush planes that can go into the back country and can carry camping gear. Now I am not talking about just a tent and a sleeping bag. I'm talking the whole deal. I will give you the weight of my gear tomorrow. Now I am a PPL, and I've seen some Bush that are rated for LSA, but I dunno. I'd feel pretty silly being a PPL putting around in an LSA. So any ideas?
 

ackattacker

Client 9
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Posts
2,125
Total Time
hah!
NCGAPilot said:
Hello, I think first off I should say that I never had any experience on building airplanes. I've worked on cars before. Cars before 1985, but not on airplanes. Right now I am looking for a Bush planes that can go into the back country and can carry camping gear. Now I am not talking about just a tent and a sleeping bag. I'm talking the whole deal. I will give you the weight of my gear tomorrow. Now I am a PPL, and I've seen some Bush that are rated for LSA, but I dunno. I'd feel pretty silly being a PPL putting around in an LSA. So any ideas?
You feel silly "wasting" your vaunted PPL on a lowly sport aircraft?

I've got an ATP and I'd rather be flying a Piper Cub.

Anyway, it sounds like you're looking to build a kitplane that can go into short rough fields and carry a good load. Which means that you'll probably be looking at taildraggers. Which means that your 150 time doesn't mean squat, you'll need more training anyway.

I would start by looking at the offerings of Murphy Aircraft (www.murphyair.com), the Kitfox (www.skystar.com), and the Rans aircraft Coyote II (www.rans.com).

If these are too small for you check out www.aerocompinc.com or the incredible Sherpa (www.sherpaaircraft.com)
 

Jmajoris

Active member
Joined
Jul 20, 2003
Posts
36
Total Time
>1000
ackattacker said:
You feel silly "wasting" your vaunted PPL on a lowly sport aircraft?

I've got an ATP and I'd rather be flying a Piper Cub.

Anyway, it sounds like you're looking to build a kitplane that can go into short rough fields and carry a good load. Which means that you'll probably be looking at taildraggers. Which means that your 150 time doesn't mean squat, you'll need more training anyway.

I would start by looking at the offerings of Murphy Aircraft (www.murphyair.com), the Kitfox (www.skystar.com), and the Rans aircraft Coyote II (www.rans.com).

If these are too small for you check out www.aerocompinc.com or the incredible Sherpa (www.sherpaaircraft.com)
Yeh, and that Cubcrafters sport cub is looking mighty fine.....

www.cubcrafters.com
 

Huggyu2

Live to fly; fly to live
Joined
Sep 14, 2004
Posts
1,187
Total Time
9000+
There's a Christian ministry outfit called JAARS that trains their pilots to go to some amazing runways in the Helio. AOPA or Flying Magazine did an article on them about 3 years ago. With the right training, you can take the Helio just about anywhere.
 

trainer8

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 24, 2001
Posts
596
Total Time
17000+
Huggyu2 said:
There's a Christian ministry outfit called JAARS that trains their pilots to go to some amazing runways in the Helio. AOPA or Flying Magazine did an article on them about 3 years ago. With the right training, you can take the Helio just about anywhere.
It was Flying...I flew a Roberston STOL Cessna C-U206 w/tip tanks and belly pod. Off the shelf technology with the STOL kit and mods. Flew C-206's with Bush STOL kits, the pod, and the Flint tip tank STC, too. The tip tank STC allows a max GW increase to 3800 lbs. With 65 gallons (bottom of the tabs), your useful load is about 1000 lbs. and a legal 5 hour VFR range.

Add a turbo-charger and you've got a monster truck with wings. Used 206's run from $65K to over $100K. New they are $200K+

If you have a spare $1.5M-$3M, nothing beats the Caravan B for the bush.:)

T8
 
Last edited:

NCGAPilot

Active member
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Posts
26
Total Time
33
Well I did some more reasearch, and I weight in myself (130 pounds) and the camping gear. Now the camping gear will be the heaviest load that it'll have to carry. Which came out around 100 or so pounds. That includes the food and charcoal. So total we are looking at anywhere between 230-288 pounds.
 
Last edited:

snowman

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 13, 2004
Posts
205
Total Time
666
Look at the cub crafters top cub. I can't imagine a better plane. I flew it with floats, and it is a rocket ship. STOL perf. is great. The perfect plane for a camping trip and more.
adios
snowman
 

PaulThomas

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 22, 2004
Posts
154
Total Time
.
NCGAPilot said:
Well I did some more reasearch, and I weight in myself (130 pounds) and the camping gear. Now the camping gear will be the heaviest load that it'll have to carry. Which came out around 100 or so pounds. That includes the food and charcoal. So total we are looking at anywhere between 230-288 pounds.
How much range do you need?

Are you planning on never bringing friends along?
 

NCGAPilot

Active member
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Posts
26
Total Time
33
PaulThomas said:
How much range do you need?

Are you planning on never bringing friends along?
Nope, I plan on flying by myself most of the time. The range should be at least 300-320 nm.
 
Top