Bush planes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

NCGAPilot

Hello, I think first off I should say that I never had any experience on building airplanes. I've worked on cars before. Cars before 1985, but not on airplanes. Right now I am looking for a Bush planes that can go into the back country and can carry camping gear. Now I am not talking about just a tent and a sleeping bag. I'm talking the whole deal. I will give you the weight of my gear tomorrow. Now I am a PPL, and I've seen some Bush that are rated for LSA, but I dunno. I'd feel pretty silly being a PPL putting around in an LSA. So any ideas?

NCGAPilot said:
Hello, I think first off I should say that I never had any experience on building airplanes. I've worked on cars before. Cars before 1985, but not on airplanes. Right now I am looking for a Bush planes that can go into the back country and can carry camping gear. Now I am not talking about just a tent and a sleeping bag. I'm talking the whole deal. I will give you the weight of my gear tomorrow. Now I am a PPL, and I've seen some Bush that are rated for LSA, but I dunno. I'd feel pretty silly being a PPL putting around in an LSA. So any ideas?

You feel silly "wasting" your vaunted PPL on a lowly sport aircraft?

I've got an ATP and I'd rather be flying a Piper Cub.

Anyway, it sounds like you're looking to build a kitplane that can go into short rough fields and carry a good load. Which means that you'll probably be looking at taildraggers. Which means that your 150 time doesn't mean squat, you'll need more training anyway.

I would start by looking at the offerings of Murphy Aircraft (www.murphyair.com), the Kitfox (www.skystar.com), and the Rans aircraft Coyote II (www.rans.com).

If these are too small for you check out www.aerocompinc.com or the incredible Sherpa (www.sherpaaircraft.com)

ackattacker said:
You feel silly "wasting" your vaunted PPL on a lowly sport aircraft?

I've got an ATP and I'd rather be flying a Piper Cub.

Anyway, it sounds like you're looking to build a kitplane that can go into short rough fields and carry a good load. Which means that you'll probably be looking at taildraggers. Which means that your 150 time doesn't mean squat, you'll need more training anyway.

I would start by looking at the offerings of Murphy Aircraft (www.murphyair.com), the Kitfox (www.skystar.com), and the Rans aircraft Coyote II (www.rans.com).

If these are too small for you check out www.aerocompinc.com or the incredible Sherpa (www.sherpaaircraft.com)

Yeh, and that Cubcrafters sport cub is looking mighty fine.....

www.cubcrafters.com

There's a Christian ministry outfit called JAARS that trains their pilots to go to some amazing runways in the Helio. AOPA or Flying Magazine did an article on them about 3 years ago. With the right training, you can take the Helio just about anywhere.

Huggyu2 said:
There's a Christian ministry outfit called JAARS that trains their pilots to go to some amazing runways in the Helio. AOPA or Flying Magazine did an article on them about 3 years ago. With the right training, you can take the Helio just about anywhere.

It was Flying...I flew a Roberston STOL Cessna C-U206 w/tip tanks and belly pod. Off the shelf technology with the STOL kit and mods. Flew C-206's with Bush STOL kits, the pod, and the Flint tip tank STC, too. The tip tank STC allows a max GW increase to 3800 lbs. With 65 gallons (bottom of the tabs), your useful load is about 1000 lbs. and a legal 5 hour VFR range.

Add a turbo-charger and you've got a monster truck with wings. Used 206's run from $65K to over $100K. New they are $200K+

If you have a spare $1.5M-$3M, nothing beats the Caravan B for the bush.:)

T8

Last edited:
Well I did some more reasearch, and I weight in myself (130 pounds) and the camping gear. Now the camping gear will be the heaviest load that it'll have to carry. Which came out around 100 or so pounds. That includes the food and charcoal. So total we are looking at anywhere between 230-288 pounds.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back