• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Burning off fuel

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Does marco island have mx that has the ability or facility to change brakes??... havent been there for years and back then there was no mx facility there.

Does the brake burn aviod burning that coating on the brakes on a landing? I landed a lear with brand new brakes and tires, didn't touch the brakes, and when I turned to park with the tail in the wind I noticed a bunch of smoke blowing past the cockpit. The brakes had smoke pouring out of them. They weren't that hot either. Mx told me it was probably the cleaner they used.

What does burning in the brakes actually do? I've done it in King Airs before, but I forget the reason.

Last edited:
What's the difference betewwn Jeffery Dahmer and a NetJets pilot?

Even Dahmer didn't eat every leg!!!

What does burning in the brakes actually do? I've done it in King Airs before, but I forget the reason.

Properly done, and only on certain brake assemblies, a brake burn in procedure rapidly heats the brake pads or stack to prevent glazing of the abradable material (either pads or rotors in a stack). This was common on small aircraft. Many manufacturers have eliminated the requirement altogether (ABS on some Citations) as there is no noticeable benefit with the new materials being used. A firm application of new brakes on the first landing (preferably to a complete stop) is usually sufficient to "burn in" the stack.

Doesn't sound like they were trying to burn off fuel to me...

I have no idea why you would do 5 high speed taxi's either. MX checks or something? Doesn't make any sense.

What is a brake burn o2bflyn? Never heard of it.

Profrac pretty much explained it they I understand it. I have also heard that newer "style" brake pads that incorporate carbon fiber material do not require burn in time either.

It basically helps the pad and the rotor work better together. More effective braking I guess.

I would just call it "seating the pads". Had to do it on 172's and such to "burn" off the paint on new rotors. Never heard of it on any jets though. It makes sense in the smaller Cessna jets I guess. Thanks for the response though.

From what I understand the plane was down for MX. They were working on the brake lines do to a leak, I'm not sure if they replaced the brakes or not or were just working the brake lines looking for leaks.

Are we done now?

(NJA procedures for fuel burn off requries the plane to be stationary and chocked.)

Latest resources

Back