Burning Man?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

crash-proof

I know that the typical poster here would never dream of going to Burning Man, but what the heck. Has anyone ever tried it out?

Me and the wifey are toying with some road trip ideas and out of nowhere came the crazy thought of going to Burning Man (late August). She had never heard of it but after showing some pics online she MAY be open to check it out. Since she's not the camping type we'd probably find us a hotel in Reno and drive over (about 1hr). For those who don't know, burning man's a sort of hippie comune mixed with Cirque Soleil theatrics. And real freaks!

So, anyone willing to come out of the woodwork and confess you've been there??

And just to make it clear we'd be going as human beings and not tooth fairies. :D I want to watch, not partake.

After doing some reading on their website, i'm not so sure i'm gonna do it.
They charge *gulp* $250 per person! Some rich hippies, eh?
They also charge an additional $20/person if you leave the premises and come back. They do not want passerby-ers, they want people to camp in and help build the "city" and take part in the activities. It's not exactly tourist or spectator friendly. I might be up for that but the wife wants a hotel, food, etc and there's zero infrastructure. Extreme hots during day and extreme colds at nite, and if it rains you're screwd.

I think I'll pass now on this one. :(

I have always wanted to go, but I am planning on during burning man as my "retirement" party.

crash-proof said:
After doing some reading on their website, i'm not so sure i'm gonna do it.
They charge *gulp* $250 per person! Some rich hippies, eh?
They also charge an additional $20/person if you leave the premises and come back. They do not want passerby-ers, they want people to camp in and help build the "city" and take part in the activities. It's not exactly tourist or spectator friendly. I might be up for that but the wife wants a hotel, food, etc and there's zero infrastructure. Extreme hots during day and extreme colds at nite, and if it rains you're screwd.

I think I'll pass now on this one. :(

I've thought about going in the past, but the theme is rugged survivalism and community than anything else. Expect to suffer no matter what as it gets rough out there. Don't think I'll be attending any time soon, but it sounds fun minus the elements.

Had a friend that has gone a few times. He says it is all, and more: total freak show, live sex, S&M,... very decadent. Pretty much all the stuff that should be kept out of a civilized and moral culture. Not my cup of tea. The pictures give it a "Mad Max" sort of feel to it.
If you go, bring lots of water.

Burning Man is not real friendly to tourists... if you go, you go for the whole thing. That's one reason they charge $250. It requires a fair amount of planning and preparation. In addition to having $250 they are some very organized and motivated "hippies". For many long-time "burners" it is the highlight of the year and they take weeks off of work etc...

For many years they had an airstrip set up for those who wanted to fly themselves in... but I heard a rumor that they're not doing it anymore.

I went to it about 6 years ago and wont ever go back. The place is nuts, anything goes except violence of course. Drugs are everywhere and the people are nice but from a different planet it seems. The experience made me realize what freaks normal looking people become with percieved anarchy.

I heard you can rent an RV on site (pre-arranged). Maybe the wife would go for that. Not exactly a hotel but not camping either. Good luck!

Latest resources

Back