• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Bumped off J/S by FAA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Years ago, ( 13 or so) we had a fed jumpseat on our airline from an outstation to our hub (ASA ATL). When he got off the plane, he walked across the ramp to another plane for a ramp inspection. I told a ramper to go ask for his SIDA badge. He didnt have one, as he was from another airport FSDO. We then asked the gate agent to call the airport police. He got pissed, the cops got pissed, but I/we did our job by challenging EVERYONE.

Every airport SIDA class I have ever attended - five different airports now - have all said that an FAA ID is valid all-access ID at any airport. In other words, if you challenge somebody and they present FAA ID, case closed.

I heard some FAA guys have to do some jumpseat time a year. Don't know how much, but it's kind of like those dispatch people that have to fly up front for a certain amount of time a year. I don't agree with them abusing it.. but if they had a meeting to hit up, (official whatever) and they brought their clubs.... so what.... he wanted to hit a few after the boring meeting. I'm not defending... but they're not all like that.

I have no problems with FED's having priority when they are performing official duties, but it does bother me when they are on vacation or just commuting to work like the rest of us. I do accept that this is probably just the way it is, but as a courtesy it would be nice if they'd call and reserve the JS ahead of time so we could plan...same goes for IP's doing checkrides, but that's another issue altogether...

The only time I've had an issue, I was trying to get out of PHX back to OKC, and had already been bumped off of 2 CO, 1 HP, and 1 UA flight. Finally was going to catch the 2nd UA flight to DEN and just be able to make the last connection to OKC. Fed walks down the jetway after I'm already in the cockpit and wants to ride. Admits he isn't on official business and just going home to DEN (there were still 3 more PHX-DEN flights that afternoon). Capt still takes the Fed.

It took me another HP, and 2 WN flights before I could finally get out of there. Ended up in TUL, but that was close enough.

NEDude said:
Every airport SIDA class I have ever attended - five different airports now - have all said that an FAA ID is valid all-access ID at any airport. In other words, if you challenge somebody and they present FAA ID, case closed.

I am thinking it has to be specifically an "aviation safety inspector" ID to have unrestricted ramp access. The feds have all sorts of ID's

It's like arguing with the cops - you're going to lose this fight to the FAA, no matter how b.s. it is. In order to bump you from the JS they have to be on a "must ride" status. This is a block to check on the form they are supposed to fill out and give to the agent. I too have had the Feds just coming and going from somewhere - not just there to inspect us - and they bumped guys off the JS. When the capt. asked if they were "must ride". guess what, they quckly became "must ride". Like someone posted, they are required to perform a certain amount of JS each year - not sure how many, but more than just the dispatcher once a year. So when they need a ride and it's full, guess what, that becomes one of their checks in the block.

I admit, it's bull********************. One gal earlier this year bumped our guy off the js and when confronted, she said she needed to get a js soon anyway so she made herself must ride. Then, she read USA Today and did the crossword up there to show us how "cool" she was.

So, my take is it's a complete scam but not worth the fight.

Benjamin Dover said:
It's like arguing with the cops - you're going to lose this fight to the FAA, no matter how b.s. it is. In order to bump you from the JS they have to be on a "must ride" status. This is a block to check on the form they are supposed to fill out and give to the agent. I too have had the Feds just coming and going from somewhere - not just there to inspect us - and they bumped guys off the JS. When the capt. asked if they were "must ride". guess what, they quckly became "must ride". Like someone posted, they are required to perform a certain amount of JS each year - not sure how many, but more than just the dispatcher once a year. So when they need a ride and it's full, guess what, that becomes one of their checks in the block.

I admit, it's bull********************. One gal earlier this year bumped our guy off the js and when confronted, she said she needed to get a js soon anyway so she made herself must ride. Then, she read USA Today and did the crossword up there to show us how "cool" she was.

So, my take is it's a complete scam but not worth the fight.

Was she hot?

The FAA badge is valid credentials for being on the ramp.

Ever notice when the feds are on your jumpseat it is always to a vacation destination.

You guys sound like jealous gate agents. If you want to be able to bump anybody off a jumpseat and walk around any airport in the country...then join the FAA. So what if a guy combines a line check with hitting the slopes, and a fed that falls asleep is a good fed in my book.

Latest resources

Back