• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Bumped off J/S by FAA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm curious about this also. Our GOM says we carry feds when they are "performing official duties". Doesn't say anything about personal travel. Other than carrying ski bags, how do you tell the difference?

Skyboy722 said:
Same thing almost happened to me too. I was already down the jet way on my way to RNO when the gate agent stopped me and said the FAA was going to ride instead. Fortunately, the captain saw all of this- and the Fed's ski bag. After telling him he should know better, tha CA sent him packin'.

I hope the CA enjoys losing his ATP for a period of time.:(

ackattacker said:
I'm curious about this also. Our GOM says we carry feds when they are "performing official duties". Doesn't say anything about personal travel. Other than carrying ski bags, how do you tell the difference?

I thought that if the fed was JS'ing he had to have the form that said he was doing an inspection and was required to show it to the CA.

Years ago, ( 13 or so) we had a fed jumpseat on our airline from an outstation to our hub (ASA ATL). When he got off the plane, he walked across the ramp to another plane for a ramp inspection. I told a ramper to go ask for his SIDA badge. He didnt have one, as he was from another airport FSDO. We then asked the gate agent to call the airport police. He got pissed, the cops got pissed, but I/we did our job by challenging EVERYONE.

The guy that ended up bumping me actually sat in business class after everyone boarded. Tejas, I know it's the procedure but that guy wasn't there to observe, he was there to take advantage of the free travel that the FAA seems to abuse whenever they want. Next time you get bumped tell me how it goes. Also, I ended getting the last seat in the back by pure luck because some guy thought a cup of Seattle's best was better than waiting around 8 hours for the next flight. Thank you sir.

It is my understadning that the Feds are not authorized to J/S just to "get to work." Thats what government airfares are for. I believe there is even a federal statute somewhere addressing this.

satpak77 said:
It is my understadning that the Feds are not authorized to J/S just to "get to work." Thats what government airfares are for. I believe there is even a federal statute somewhere addressing this.

The FAA has been saving the US taxpayers money for ages by using the jumpseat.

I know of one case where the FAA planned to ride KIX-MEM. He had been in Subic inspecting the maint operation, had his golf clubs with him. The relief Captain had a problem with the crowded cockpit. The relief Captain happened to be quite senior, the Captain was quite junior. They asked the FAA to take a later flight that stopped in ANC and had a lot more room. The FED agreed and all was fine until his boss found out about it. The siht hit the fan. The senior, relief Captain, that caused the problem said "Hey, I was not the PIC". The Captain, junior man, had his ATP suspended for two weeks because the inspector was bumped.

meanstreak said:
The guy that ended up bumping me actually sat in business class after everyone boarded. Tejas, I know it's the procedure but that guy wasn't there to observe, he was there to take advantage of the free travel that the FAA seems to abuse whenever they want.

Hey....like I said...take it to your chief pilot or your VP of Flight Ops....let us know what their response is.

Tejas

FoxHunter said:
The FAA has been saving the US taxpayers money for ages by using the jumpseat.---->So for years, this has gone on...and yet not one pilot has had the "nads" to bring this to the attention of a CP or a union rep or a VP of Flight Ops? ...or a congressman, senator, or even "60 Minutes"?

I know of one case where the FAA planned to ride KIX-MEM. He had been in Subic inspecting the maint operation, had his golf clubs with him. The relief Captain had a problem with the crowded cockpit. The relief Captain happened to be quite senior, the Captain was quite junior. They asked the FAA to take a later flight that stopped in ANC and had a lot more room. The FED agreed and all was fine until his boss found out about it. The siht hit the fan. The senior, relief Captain, that caused the problem said "Hey, I was not the PIC". The Captain, junior man, had his ATP suspended for two weeks because the inspector was bumped.
---->Lame....Lets see here...you've got at least 2 Captains who know what took place and a Fed who AGREED to take a later flight. ..and someone still ends up with 2 weeks off?!?!?! Incredible. I can almost guarantee that wouldn't happen at "my house." I see 2 Capts with weak leadership skills and worse yet, even poor leadership on the part of the CP, VP, and the union. I just cannot see the leadership at "my house" allowing this to happen.

Tejas

Latest resources

Back