Building PIC Time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CDNJetPilot

I've posted some questions regarding entry level time for a first FO job on a twin (maybe medivac etc), but now I'm wondering how to build up that intial time required.

I have a good, stable, well paying job. I can buy a 172 (split with a friend hopefully) and use that to build up a good amount of PIC time in the next couple of years doing x/c's on the weekends etc, holidays. Currently, I'm 26 and looking for the most efficient method of building time. I don't think instructing will work for me considering my job/time commitments.

My question is: Is this considered valuable time, or would a small charter op (or whoever hires low time pilots) rather see instructing time?

Personally I would think that alof of places would rather see somebody who instructed. They like to see people who have stuck it out through the tough times of being a CFII, basically the bottom of the totem pole so to speak. You'll learn alot about yourself while being a CFI. One thing I've learned is patience, but then again I'm really getting tired of teaching too,lol. I've got alot of respect for all the career instructors and people who have more dual given then me. But that's my two cents.

Instruction is more valuable

Yeah, I agree. And it's not just a case of "I had to do it so should you."

I've flown with both types of pilots--those who've instructed and those who haven't. You can tell the difference.

The bottom line is this: If you own your own airplane and you fly in your free time, then you're always flying on your terms.

Great! If you're a pleasure flyer.

But when you're a working pilot it's never on your terms. Never. You fly who, what, when and where they say and you better do it just as well every time. That's called being professional.

Instruction is a great way to cut your teeth on flying for someone else and not yourself.

Good luck.

Re: Instruction is more valuable

mar said:
Yeah, I agree. And it's not just a case of "I had to do it so should you."

I've flown with both types of pilots--those who've instructed and those who haven't. You can tell the difference.

The bottom line is this: If you own your own airplane and you fly in your free time, then you're always flying on your terms.

Great! If you're a pleasure flyer.

But when you're a working pilot it's never on your terms. Never. You fly who, what, when and where they say and you better do it just as well every time. That's called being professional.

Instruction is a great way to cut your teeth on flying for someone else and not yourself.

Good luck.
Well put.

Thanks Mar. One comment I have heard is the opposite. A operator told me they won't hire instructors b/c they only fly when the weather is good versus having your own plane doing lots of x/c trips etc, the private pilot usually takes more risks and challenges weather etc.

I hear both sides to the story but just looking for more feedback regarding this issue. Thanks for the input.

Why not do both? Buy a C172 and become a CFI. I did and it worked well for me.

You'll learn alot from owning your own aircraft, and you'll learn alot as a CFI. Is there a reason you can't do both?

And, in terms of your job/time commitments you mentioned...I worked full-time as a school teacher with a two hour commute each way, and did flight instruction at night and on weekends. I also flew my airplane on the side. At the same time I worked on my MEI and CFII. I also was a gigging musician at the time, and married. My point is, that you are only restricted by how much you restrict yourself. If you aren't motivated, this might not be the right career path for you.

CFI= People Skills

If you are looking to go into charter, I think instructing is the way to go. People skills are both important and highly underrated. As far as weather issues, once my students have progressed to a certain level, we will fly in some challenging weather and that goes for Pvt. and Instrument Students. I always say...you never know when I'm not going to be around and you gotta fly and get yourself and your passengers down safely. You can get the experience now with me....or by your self without the benefit of an experienced hand monitoring your progress.

I know that many Instructors won't do this at all, but I try very hard to fly with my instrument students in actual conditions, when they get to the end of their training.

As far as impressing potential employers, do a bit of both fly yourself and instruct.

Later

Re: ...

CDNJetPilot said:
Thanks Mar. One comment I have heard is the opposite. A operator told me they won't hire instructors b/c they only fly when the weather is good versus having your own plane doing lots of x/c trips etc, the private pilot usually takes more risks and challenges weather etc.

I hear both sides to the story but just looking for more feedback regarding this issue. Thanks for the input.

Are you kidding me?! Thats the silliest thing I've read in awhile.

Tell the "operator" to lay down the crack pipe. :eek:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back