• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Building PIC Time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
i'd be willing to bet a lot of private pilots that "take more risks and challenge the weather" become smoking holes.

just a thought.

maybe that's the operator's nice way of saying we're not hiring

:D

One big difference between the person who "builds time" in his or her own aircraft, and one who had gained experience working for someone else, is validation.

It's very easy for a private pilot to validate himself or herself. I'm a great pilot, I allow me to fly for myself.

It's a little different when one flies for someone else. In this case, an owner or chief pilot has evaluated the applicant, found him or her competent, and in many cases, administered ongoing tests of competency or skill to ensure that the employee is meeting a known standard.

Further, the private pilot can't (or shouldn't) write a recommendation for himself. One who has been flying in the employ of another should always strive to leave with a letter of recommendation and on good terms; that becomes invalueable at a later date in seeking other employment. It was once said to me a long time ago that your most critical objective in accepting employment is securing a good recommendation. Do that, and all else will fall in line.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with owning your own airplane. If that's something you want to do, then don't turn away. It's expensive and a big commitment, no matter what you own...but if it's worth it to you, then have a ball.

Consider the commitment issue. Getting into aviation involves sacrifice and commitment. It involves often going without a lot of things. You can drag out a career start over the next ten years while trying to not leave a comfortable job...or you can bite the bullet, start at the entry level, and stake out a position in the industry. I can tell you this much; if it's hard to leave your job not to make your way in aviation, it's going to be a whole lot harder later on...especially once you've established yourself in your job, and you still need to take a large cut to drop back to an entry level aviation position. Your family needs will be greater, your expenses greater, and the disparity between what you'll be making in aviation vs. your other job much, much higher.

The current won't be getting any slower, and the water won't be getting any warmer. Just as well sink or swim now than wait. If you sink, at least you'll sink happy.

English, I'm definitely motivated and like you, have a similar schedule. I know instructing can be done and I'll give that avenue more thought, but one problem I have, being in Canada, is you are not allowed to teach on your own airplane unless you have a certificate to be operating as a flight school. I'm not sure on the exact cost and paperwork involved but I'll look into that.

I know what others are thinking. My last message didn't sound too good with pushing the weather - as the medivac company mentioned regarding private pilots. I know where he is coming from though. I never did much flying when pursuing my PPL unless the weather was very good.

Again, all comments are much appreciated.

Last edited:
I don't understand where that employer was coming from telling you that.

How exactly do you "push the weather" with a PPL in Canada? You can't fly IFR or at night.

CDNJetPilot said:
English, I'm definitely motivated and like you, have a similar schedule. I know instructing can be done and I'll give that avenue more thought, but one problem I have, being in Canada, is you are not allowed to teach on your own airplane unless you have a certificate to be operating as a flight school. I'm not sure on the exact cost and paperwork involved but I'll look into that.

No need...who said anything about teaching in your airplane? I said, buy an airplane and fly it on your own, and also become a flight instructor. Become an independent contractor or a part-time instructor at a local flight school.

what do you really want?

DECESIONS, DECESIONS, DECESIONS.......To become a commercial pilot or remain a software developer.

QUOTE:
"I have a good, stable, well paying job...I don't think instructing will work for me considering my job/time commitments."

Didn't you just answer your own question? It sounds like you have your cake and want to eat it also. This industry (aviation) is born of sacrifice. Virtually every pilot here has, and continues to, sacrifice in some way. At some point in time you will have to take a crappy job, with bad pay, long hours, and lousy conditions to gain experience. Flight instruction is probably the fastest way to build time and is valuable with every operator, but you sound like you unwilling to give up one job for the other. Oh well, times are tough and this industry is even tougher, someone else will do it. Unless they are filthy rich, every pilot on this board has been a flight instructor, photo pilot, flown skydivers, freight dog, bush pilot, whatever POS position they could find to get ahead. 200 hours a year putting around in your 172 isn't getting you anywhere fast. At some point in time you will have to give up your job, pay, quality of life, time off, family, maybe all 5, to become a commercial pilot.

My advise: if you're totally unwilling to sacrifice, you like your current job, it pays well, keeps you home with the family and you're happy with your life. Then stay a software developer and fly for the love of flying. If you're determined to be a commercial pilot, then a change is in order. Become a flight instructor, or whatever, and build your time. Move on to the airlines, medivac, corporate, or ??? You can always go back to the computers.

Instructing

One thing that flight instructing does for you is really force you to learn. The practical notwithstanding, when students come to you with questions you don't know and are wanting answers, you have a better motivation to learn than merely preparing for a practical. When you are teaching something, you are forced to learn it deeper and more thoroughly. That kind of learning stays with you.

I remember taking a couple of written exams at airline interviews. They were easy, and I feel it was because they were based on material I was teaching every day. The only thing on my Eagle written that I had not seen before was a performance graph on an ATR-42. It posed no problem because it was based on same principle as the graph on the Commercial written.

I second Avbug's comments about the value of flying as employment as opposed to just boring holes and the commitment the career requires.

I agree with most of you about the value of instructing, since you are challenged more by doing that than when just pleasure flying in your own plane.

And no, I did not just instruct in "good weather".

But, I did get that creepy chill when I read the part about PPL's taking more risks with weather.

Yikes.:eek:

Last edited:
Fly skydivers.

Latest resources

Back