• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Brown bag lunch" at Island Air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If not getting a lunch pissed him off so bad, that he felt the need to start a thread to b!tch about it, then he's in the wrong industry. Wait till he is given a 20% paycut, or loses his pension, or furloughed (again). These are things worth ranting about. I think what pissed everybody off about this thread is the fact that there are thousands of qualified pilot's out of work at this very minute who are scrambling to find work, and what's his name find's the need to bitch about something as trivial as not being provided with a meal at an interview.

Its not just the lunch, man. Dont you guys see it. Have some f#$^ing pride and stand up for yourself. We deserve more than 8 dollars an hour to fly a plane full of passengers. You people are so brainwashed about "paying your dues" bullshit.. I didnt go to the interview for a few reasons

1. pay for your own ticket and hotel for interview ($1000)
2. 20k-40k a year in hawaii is a joke
3. pay for you own hotel during training
4. and yes the "bring your own brown bag lunch" email really was insulting

Im just trying to help you poor souls who are whoring yourself to this regional airline industry. Take some pride in yourself. This isnt McDonalds you are applying to. This is flying a multi-million dollar aircraft with dozens of people on board. You deserve a fair wage.

dash8driver said:
ahh, the entitlement generation....

the freedom we have allows you to sit in the pool for the job you want or not sit in the pool for the job you dont want.

I got furloughed from Indy and ended up at shuttleaqua. I can't brag too much about em'...but at least I'm not sitting in a pool and didn't have to pay $1000 for the interview. What's really sad, is shuttleaqua is the best game in town in terms of QOL, upgrades and pay. Island emailed me twice in the past 2 months to see if I wanted to interview...yeah, I turned it down because I'm broke and I have a family. From the desperation in the emails, I guess I'm not the only one to turn them down.

By the way...there is no way anyone can afford to live in Hawaii on those payscales...so I guess most of you guys have trust funds. I think the original poster has a good point...

Last edited:
nice try. you cant apply for jobs you know are low paying, then turn them down later because of some unrelated reason (like not getting a free lunch) and then claim you're standing up for yourself in regards to wages. the wages didnt change since you applied to the job. why didnt you stand up for yourself and not even send in an application?

read your original post again. sure you bitched about the pay, but it didnt stop you from joining the process. you were happy to not stand up for yourself until the final straw....the brown bag lunch.

like i said...save your gear shifting for your car....

airludy said:
Its not just the lunch, man. Dont you guys see it. Have some f#$^ing pride and stand up for yourself. We deserve more than 8 dollars an hour to fly a plane full of passengers. You people are so brainwashed about "paying your dues" bullshoot.. I didnt go to the interview for a few reasons

Im just trying to help you poor souls who are whoring yourself to this regional airline industry. Take some pride in yourself. This isnt McDonalds you are applying to. This is flying a multi-million dollar aircraft with dozens of people on board. You deserve a fair wage.

House_X said:
By the way...there is no way anyone can afford to live in Hawaii on those payscales...so I guess most of you guys have trust funds. I think the original poster has a good point...

yes you've figured it out. we're all a tribe of aaron spelling's love children.

hey, i'm all for people who dont want to work for certain wages or conditions, but crying on here over a free lunch is pathetic. whats next? crying because his company didnt buy him socks or underwear too? no, the company's not going to make you PB&J sandwiches like mommy used to and they're not going to buy you underwear and write your name in it. there are certain things you have to do in this world as an adult....feeding yourself is one of them.

btw.. there is no charge to interview. no one paid for an interview, get your facts straight.

airludy said:

1) If you currently had a job, you could jumpseat to Hawaii. It's FREE. 2) Yep, it is a joke. You waited until now to say so? 3) You said you've got a tent. Quit bitchin'. It's not even that hot right now. 4) We're over your lunch rant. You missed our "free pizza party" a couple weeks ago.

But seriously, thanks so much for standing up for us poor souls. Whoring ourselves in the regional airline industry is wrong. We should all resign and work at home depot. Blah, blah, blah.

I do appreciate your constant comebacks though. This thread gets my stamp of approval. 5 stars!

Don't forget the Doctors that have to "whore" themselves out when they are paying their dues as interns. They don't even have time for a sack lunch. Or lawyers at the start of their career either. Anybody who has built a succesful business spent long hours "whoring" themselves out getting their career going. Airludy doesn't get it because he's "entitled" to the top of his profession NOW.
I got a feeling he is going to be real unhappy when the reality of corporate aviation hits him. I wonder how he'll like serving his passengers lunch?

OK you guys are right... I will just swallow my pride and bend over. Do you guys know of any airlines that I can pay for training? I have a wealthy uncle who may give me 30,000$ so I can get a job flying a cool jet. He understands I will only be making about 1200$ a month so I dont have to pay him back. Actually since I have been so arrogant to think I deserve to make a liviable wage, maybe I will just work for free at one of these regionals... I will tell them that at the interview.

Latest resources

Back