Broken bonding wire grounds aircraft?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DaveJ said:
This is a C1722, no MEL, operated part 91 only. The broken wire is noted and marked as 'defered until next 100 hour inspection' in the a/c logs by an A & P.

Deferred until the next 100hr??? I take it the plane is FBO operated?

Avimec said:
Well have you worked on many airplanes? Control sufaces are not, by far the the only thing that has bonding wires. Most everything in airplanes are bonded somehow, even composite parts. Ex. Vertical stab tip Do328 blown off in lightning strike (bonded). Wing tip(s) Crj200 blown off about 6 in worth. Never even touched the static wick. Holes blown in fus. on jets What about the bonding wires then. Doors are bonding wired. some lights are bonding wired. most electronics, and yes bonding wires are mel'd alot. All im saying is its a bonding wire.

Hey, you're right. Seen a plane land here with the door, one winglet, nosegear and lav hanging on by a wire! Control surfaces were fine tho!

For christ sakes its a bonding wire.....

If any attitude sickens me in aviation, it's apathy. It's always either someone too lazy to do it right and looking for a loophole, or the person who says, "it's not a big deal. Live with it."

Twice in aircraft I've had lightening strikes that burned holes in control surfaces melted through the outer skin, blew out pieces of the radome, and did all manner of damage...all because of improper bonding. I'll spare you the details, but no...it's not "just' a bonding wire. It's put there for a reason.

Among other things, when there's nothing to bond, electricity goes other places. This includes control hinge points, which have a nasty habit of becoming welded in place when no other path exists, under large current flows. Where this isn't occuring, electricity is still seeking alternate paths, and the electrical potential can contribute to corrosion, radio static, and other undesirable effects.

I have to ask, since a bonding strap replacement is a three minute task and hardly rocket science, why a mechanic in his right mind would possibly defer fixing it? I carry bonding braid in my box because it's such a common thing...what idiot would merely see such a simple thing, and then take the trouble to write it up as being deferred (something the mechanic doesn't have the option of doing, and something that doesn't protect you when you fly it because the writeup isn't a legal deferral in the first place)...when the write-up takes longer than the fix, and still doesn't fix the problem? Good grief.

Someone mentioned static wicks. I forget in what context, but with respect to the legality and airworthiness of the item in question, the issue of static wicks is irrelevant.

Latest resources

Back