Broken bonding wire grounds aircraft?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DaveJ

I got into a discussion the other day about flying an a/c with deferred maintenance. The a/c in question was a C172 with a broken bonding wire between the horizontal stabilizer and the elevator. The a/c had been flying with the problem written up and deferred. The other pilot I was with said you couldn't defer a broken bonding wire. I didn't know so I figured I'd ask. Does a broken bonding wire/strap ground the aircraft?

O.K. I'll be the first to ask....You have an approved MEL for a C-172? If so there is a simple answer. Reference the MEL number in the MEL and see what it says. Can't say that I've ever seen an approved MEL for a C-172, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

is that the braided wire that connects the two? look at 91.205 and 91.213, if you don't have an MEL.

There used to be a inspector at the SAC FSDO that would ground airplanes all the friggin time for broken grounding straps. That was always the first thing he checked for.

172 MEL? ya right.

Hmmm....it has been a while since I was a Part 135 inspector, but I can recall that if it is not on you MEL, it is a grounding item.
You can deffer it (if it is not a safety of flight item) until you return to your FBO. Once you have reached your FBO, it is then grounded until the squawk is cleared.

But then again, what is in the MEL for you aircraft.

To

This is a C1722, no MEL, operated part 91 only. The broken wire is noted and marked as 'defered until next 100 hour inspection' in the a/c logs by an A & P. I maintain that it's legal to fly, but some of the other pilots say that it can't be flown until the bonding wire is replaced.

Avimec said:
For christ sakes its a bonding wire.....

Ya know, I always said the same thing, until I saw a C425 get hit by lightning, on the right aileron. The lightnin' done blowed the thing clean off the airplane!

That's y they are so important.

Avimec said:
For christ sakes its a bonding wire.....

...yea and the next time it is a reading light in the cockpit of a gulfstream.

The bottom line is....get it fixed!

sheesh

propsarebest said:
Ya know, I always said the same thing, until I saw a C425 get hit by lightning, on the right aileron. The lightnin' done blowed the thing clean off the airplane!

That's y they are so important.
Im shur that bonding wire would have prevented that to, Right? Ive seen parts of airplanes blown off by lightning and hanging by the f- ing bonding wire when they get in. And yes i understand the point..............get it fixed. I agree with you but what im saying is you are not going to fly it right now till it gets fixed......come on!!!! Its a bonding wire!!!!

Latest resources

Back