Bring back regulation?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

viper548

I wasn't around to see how things were under regulation. What would be the pros + cons of bringing back regulation?

I strongly believe that regulation would help this industry. It would stop the regionals from turing against themselves and prevent competition which would create an unlikely universal payscale.

I believe we're all witnessing the "WALMARTIZATION" of the industry......this is based partly to the fact that the regular American trveler does not care about being cramped up in a tiny jet for 2+ hours just as long as they get there on the cheapest dime as possible...... If this were not true then how do you explain the success of Priceline, Travelocity, and other online fare discounters.......And if you want more to complain about just wait until biofuels start hitting the aerospace market..........Well hopefully by then I'll be an old man saying "Huh", or "What's that Sonny"?...Every time you call my Name!!lLOL

Asking for Re-regulation is like asking for the Atom Bomb to be
un-invented, and just as useful.

Its been good for consumers and well managed airlines. Just as capitialism has been good for consumers and well managed companies.

Eventually, some cities are going to lose service from majors, and some one like Great Lakes will swoop in to re-provide service.

Like my 10th Grade economics teacher said, "the problem with capitialism is that it has losers." Not every one can win. And todays winners may be tomororrow's losers

HoursHore said:
Asking for Re-regulation is like asking for the Atom Bomb to be
un-invented, and just as useful.

Its been good for consumers and well managed airlines. Just as capitialism has been good for consumers and well managed companies.

Eventually, some cities are going to lose service from majors, and some one like Great Lakes will swoop in to re-provide service.

Like my 10th Grade economics teacher said, "the problem with capitialism is that it has losers." Not every one can win. And todays winners may be tomororrow's losers

I dont think capitalism is the right word to describe the airline industry. Im no civics expert, but I always understood capitilism as the ability/right of anyone to make and market a product for profit, thus the best product should reap the most rewards.

In this day and age with all the bankruptcy protection airlines dont have to provide the best product just the most imaginative way to "hide" or restructure debt. All things being even, there should only be 4 maybe 5 major airlines around today. SWA, JB, AirTran would, in my opinion, be the top 3 with 2 other Legacy carriers bringing up the rear. Of course there would be scattered commuters.

The government seems afraid to let the natural rules of economics to play themselves out for fear of loosing its only true nationwide mass transit system. Thats all the airlines have devolved into is an unfunded government mass transist system, just look at the ticket prices.

Again, Im no econ or civics expert, but I calls em likes I sees em.

I'll apologize in advance for repeating on a message board what I've said to some of you in the real world, but here goes....

If a state isn't allowed to sell cigarettes for less than the state mandated minimum, what's to stop the government from assessing a quarterly report on city to city routes with a minimum rate to be charged? It would take a couple of accountants one day to do it and would be changed as fluctuations in fuel ebb and flow. Then you wouldn't have a bankrupt carrier like United taking out weekly full page ads in USA Today for $100 one way tickets across the entire continent.

It's death by capitalism, and when Delta and Northwest are forced into bankruptcy this fall, I hope and pray that it wakes up the government and forces some changes.

Save that Confederate Money!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back in regulation days, a handful of airlines flew half empty airplanes for people on expense accounts.

If we go back to that, the first thing we must do is fire about 40% of the pilots now employed in the airline industry.

Be careful what you wish for.

Of course the notion that some group of experts can set the price for anything is what has made the Soviet Union the economic superpower it is today.

I'd rather struggle for a job that was worth the pitfalls then wallow in this regional pay and work rules for another thirty years.

Something as big as regulation needs to happen, this industry has cut prices so far that it is strangeling itself. I hope it happens soon.

Latest resources

Back