• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Brightscope Rates SWAPA 401K Plan 3rd Best in US

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWA removed Brandywine from the list of funds and changed one of the government treasurer funds to a better performing one.

The 401K committee meets regularly to discuss trends and make recommendations to the BoD and membership. They are autonomous in making the final decision as well they should be as their decision making has benefited all SWAPA pilots.

Each year the committee hosts reps from all the funds in Dallas where presentations are made on strategies and outlooks. Very professionally run and thanks to the SWAPA staff and 401K committee for a stellar effort. Most take it for granted but this element is the bedrock to the benefits of being at SWA IMHO.

I was wondering how SWA moved ahead of UAL as well. UAL was ahead for years, if not forever. Prolly the 9.3% rate moved SWA up.

Hard to believe, but we had close to 200 pilots that did not max their contribution to receive the full company match last year (some did not save any).:confused: Maybe those numbers have come down (participation rate is one of the factors Brightstar uses).

Some of the things I like about SWA's 401k:
Besides a decent company match rate, SWA's 401k offers the option of moving up to 95% of your portfolio to Schwab in a PCRA (Personal Choice Retirement Account). Essentially, it gives you the ability to gamble all your retirement $$$. :) However, if you are smart about it and are concerned more about earning your fair share of your assumed risk (not chasing the latest fad / latest winners, ...) while minimizing costs (expense ratios, international taxes, transactions costs, ...), Schwab offers some excellent ETFs. Their ETFs have the lowest ER in the world (at less than institutional level investment). These ETFs also trade free. Kind of hard to beat those costs.
In your PCRA you can trade pretty much any security you want, save LUV stock and some leveraged securities (at least that's what I remember, I don't do either). Though, if you are trading leveraged securities in your retirement account, you should probably let someone else manage your money. ;)
The mutual fund options also strive to minimize fees / costs while maximizing your return to risk (Sharpe Ratio). IOW, they select very good funds. They may not be the best every year, but over longer periods of time, they perform very well.
They also offer some DFA options. Not a lot, but some.
They also stared a Roth 401k for 2011. For those wanting to spread out your future tax risk, tax free growth options are a way to do that.

All in all, the SWA's retirement account is pretty darn good IMO.

What I like best about the 401k program:

1. Starts when you get hired, immediately.
2. Free money.
3. Free money.
4. 20% return this year.

If you play your cards right, its hard not to retire with 3M from SW.

Depending on how many times you get divorced!

If you play your cards right, its hard not to retire with 3M from SW.

Depending on how many times you get divorced!

No kidding. Those who started at Microsoft 10-15 years ago will do well when they retire. Those who start now, not so much.

Latest resources

Back