• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Breaking News - Wright Amendment Repealed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
History? Future is more like it. It doesn't take effect for 8 more years. Is this what the SWA folks really want or is it a compromise?

C

Through flights take affect when Bush signs the papers. Non-stops after 8 years. It would have taken 8 years of lobbying to get there anyway.

In 20 years there will be a new fight to get international flying out of Love.

Great. Now hopefully we need not see anymore 40 page threads of AA/SW guys b!tching at each other like junior high girls...

From what I understand, SWA didn't want it to simply happen all at once. If you were able fly non-stop to Love Field tomorrow, they don't have/can't get enough planes quickly enough to take full advantage of it. So this seems to play their hand perfectly. Let the SW parties begin.

I guess all the other airlines will now be offered gates at Love, I mean the goverment is not acting anti competetive here now is it?

From what I understand, SWA didn't want it to simply happen all at once. If you were able fly non-stop to Love Field tomorrow, they don't have/can't get enough planes quickly enough to take full advantage of it. So this seems to play their hand perfectly. Let the SW parties begin.

Mr. Hat you are 100% correct. Plus, SWA needs time to renovate the DAL terminals. The word from I got was that they wouldn't start breaking ground until they knew that Wright was going to be repealed. This gives them the perfect amount of time to do that and get the through ticketing for SWA which means mega $$$ in the future.

Great News

Passengers for the first time will be able to see connections from DAL to anywhere in the system. www.southwest.com gets nearly 10 million hits a month....the largest of any other airline out there I'm told....those folks now will have the ability to see connections they have never seen before & spend money with SWA when in fact they didn't before because "we can't get there from here." Yes many of the regular folks know the "system" but most didn't who don't live in & around here.

Organizations that wish to have conventions here now will have a much easier & affordable way to get their folks down to Dallas. Plus, look for some new routes that have never been flown to/from out of Dallas before that were permitted before under the Wright/Shelby Amendment but were never connected. DAL-JAC-then to anywhere in FL; DAL-BHM- to anywhere in FL. There were never enough O&D pax to justify those flights but now there will be plenty of through folks who will be just as happy to make one stop in Jackson or Birmingham, drop off & pick up 4-5 folks & press on to FL. Those through flights will be filled with FL or TX folks getting lower fares in those directions in way they haven't before.

SWA moved 100 FA's into DAL for Nov, an appropriate number of CA/FOs into DAL & HOU to handle the projected new flights...we're at 121 now, could go to 140ish with 14 gates right now, with 2 more gates that's another 20 or more...not huge numbers but we'll see what the future holds....the pump is primed & expect more to come as the ramp up begins. We have 5 more aircraft for the rest of the year to cover those already announced flights to new or old routes...no new routes have been announced for '07...expect those airplanes in '07 that will be arriving at a rate of over 1 every 10 days to start flying from DAL & HOU rather soon in the new year...the push for a new crew base may have just gotten some relief too with these new additions & 4 more gates to open in July in Houston once the new addition is finished.

It isn't a perfect compromise and still has regulation attached to it but for the consumer savings and more options to fly will begin shortly...that is good news for the folks of North Texas & those wishing to come visit Dallas & NT. Good news to start the 4th quarter....can't hurt the bottom line.

Latest resources

Back