• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

BREAKING NEWS about UAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm no brain like "Andy", but I don't think United has any leverage to re-negotiate anything. They've already used the BK process to the max extent possible. I think they know if they enter Chapter 11 that its game over. Nobody in their right mind would give them the financing to emerge from BK. It becomes a hollow threat to use the BK process again. The pilot concession stand is closed so we'll see what their next move is.

I think CAL tried to re-negotiate their leases and were basically told that they were out of luck unless a BK judge was going to enforce it.

I'm definitely no brain; you can confirm that with my wife. :D
I tend to agree that the bulk of cuts at United was done during the bankruptcy. Also, DIP financing would not be easy to find at a reasonable rate. The credit markets are tightening on a daily basis. Once Lehman Brothers implodes, it'll only get worse - unless the Fed comes up with some sort of rescue plan, but they're pretty much out of bullets.
I think that United can cut its size without a trip to bankruptcy court. Bankruptcy is hugely expensive.

About the best thing that United has going for it is $3B in unencumbered assets. Whether or not they can get a loan at decent interest rates is another story.
While it's going to assure that I'm out on the street again (no worries; I made more in the markets today than I make in a year yanking gear on the 757), United and all carriers need to reduce expenses as quickly as possible. That means shedding aircraft. Lots of aircraft.
United also has some aircraft coming off of lease this fall. They can further reduce the fleet by not renewing the leases.
I'm waiting to see what they do as far as the express partners. I thought that they'd cut them, but right now, the plan calls for expansion. They're likely trying to maintain as much frequency as they can, but that's a more expensive alternative than cutting express carriers and upguaging with less frequency.

Andy,
He is talking in general terms referencing UAL, Frontier, Spirit, Airtran, US Air etc. I know you have done a lot of research and you are a smart guy, but if you are so smart, why did you not get hired by someone else like SWA or Fedex/UPS when you were furloughed by United last time? Everyone was hiring, and you seem to believe you have a crystal ball, so why can't people make generalizations about their airline without you jumping in with your crystal ball which appears to have a blind spot in it?

I spent the bulk of my furlough working in the reserves full time; long enough to qualify for an active duty retirement.
I also wanted to get job skills outside of flying; this job is not going to pay what it used to. Besides, post-911, it's just a job to me; the thrill is gone.

I don't have a crystal ball. What's the deal with this website? It seems to be on estrogen overload.

I haven't heard that, but it wouldn't surprise me. Hell, we had guys leave NetJets to go to Skybus! I guess if you really want to fly a big jet, you'll take the risk, but it's an awfully big one right now. :(

I don't think its all about flying bigger jets-some people just dislike the day to day job at NJA and don't want to do that for the rest of their careers.
Just like if you didnt like the airline lifestyle-you would look elsewhere.

Latest resources

Back