BREAKING NEWS about UAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Source is Planebuzz.com....

United Airlines To Park Up to 70 Aircraft, Behead Ted, and Announce Headquarters' Layoffs

Our informed sources tell us this afternoon (hey, I'm on Pacific time) that we should hear more details Tuesday on United's plans to contract.
On the cutting board (and I know this is going to upset Cranky Flier immeasurably) will be Theodore, better known as yet another tried and then discarded airline within an airline adventure. Yes, you all know the adventure as "Ted."
Secondly, we're told that the airline will announce the grounding of at least 70 aircraft.
Layoffs? Did someone say layoffs? (A nod to Coach Jim Mora there...)
Yes. We're hearing at least 1500 folks are going to be on the short end of pink slips at UAUA headquarters.

Fugly. UAUA's gone into survival mode.
I imagine that'll be all of the 737-500s and every lease that is expiring this year. I haven't dug up the numbers on lease expirations this year, but they run across most airframes.
The Ted aircraft are likely to return to mainline service. I've heard rumblings of returning F seating to them.
The cuts at WHQ sound smaller than what I've heard.

I don't know if UAUA still has the ability to cut RJ flying with no advance notice, but I'd expect them to also take some pretty heavy hits.

SWA isn't going to be able to replace all of the capacity that's been/being cut. Also, any added capacity by SWA doesn't have hedged fuel - the marginal costs of additional ASMs is going to limit SWA's growth. They'll be adding judiciously.

Its so sad to see. In my opinion its about to be worse than Sept.11. For those lucky enough to be holding on still, count your lucky stars. Thats exactly what it is, luck. I believe that the goverments mismanagement of the airline business is the greatest thing that has killed us. It doesnt allow us to price fix to really take out a competitor. Doesnt allow us to merge when we really need to consolidate. Allows too many entrance to the industry without much thought of how it will affecct this important commodity. All just to make sure Joe Schmoe can get a 80 dollar ticket. If you sitting in a good place right now thank God. You could be the next Aloha, ATA, UAL junior guy etc. Good luck guys.

I believe that the goverments mismanagement of the airline business is the greatest thing that has killed us. It doesnt allow us to price fix to really take out a competitor. Doesnt allow us to merge when we really need to consolidate. Allows too many entrance to the industry without much thought of how it will affecct this important commodity.

:confused: ??????? :confused:

USAir ran like the wind....

So was it United turning their backs on US Airways or the other way around?

Gup

Of course this question is a little like asking which thing in the trash started to stink the most. In the end they both stink.

USAir financial folks during due diligence came to the conclusion that the financial problems at UAUA were so big that not only did they outweigh the benefits but would probably drag them down with them like a drowning man. As triggers start to happen it could be fairly quick. A 30 day timeframe is not out of the realm of possibilities.

Its so sad to see. In my opinion its about to be worse than Sept.11. For those lucky enough to be holding on still, count your lucky stars. Thats exactly what it is, luck. I believe that the goverments mismanagement of the airline business is the greatest thing that has killed us. It doesnt allow us to price fix to really take out a competitor. Doesnt allow us to merge when we really need to consolidate. Allows too many entrance to the industry without much thought of how it will affecct this important commodity. All just to make sure Joe Schmoe can get a 80 dollar ticket. If you sitting in a good place right now thank God. You could be the next Aloha, ATA, UAL junior guy etc. Good luck guys.

I am lucky to have a job.

Everyone thinks they are where they are at because they are so smart. See how smart they all are next year!

Latest resources

Back