Break Apartment Lease on Furlough?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

gnx99

Does anyone know of any legal way to break an apartment lease if you get furloughed? I signed a 12 month lease on my apartment about a week before I got my furlough "award" from Mesaba :mad: I live in Minnesota BTW

Thanks in Advance!

Tell 'em it's due to "Force Majeure."

That's the excuse airline mgt uses all the time.

The only way you can break a lease is to buy yourself out of it, about three months rent. They dont care if your out of work, you signed a lease and they want the rent. I've broken a few leases and been SOL, the only way to get out of one free and clear is moving for military duty. You can always ask though.

RSixer said:
The only way you can break a lease is to buy yourself out of it, about three months rent. They dont care if your out of work, you signed a lease and they want the rent. I've broken a few leases and been SOL, the only way to get out of one free and clear is moving for military duty. You can always ask though.

That's not true. Some leases have a clause for change of job. In fact all of us pilots should learn from this example and make sure our leases have clauses for transfer/furlough.

Your best option is to explain to the apartment complex you lost your job and can't pay rent anymore. They can choose whether you stay and don't pay rent, or leave and don't pay rent.

I guess it all depends on where your at, or the apartment,,like I said though, it never hurts to ask.

Check to see if the lease has a 2 month notice requirement. You could give notice at the end of july, and be out at the end of Sept. Sometimes you have to give up any incentives that you had, for example reduced rent etc.

If you were getting displaced to DTW or MEM first, you could probably tell them that your job is transferring across the country, even through you aren't really moving there.

In my case, I just begged and pleaded, and they decided to let me out, since I had been a good renter for a long time.

Also, if they can find someone else to rent your place, they will often let you out as well, but you'll probably still need a 60 day notice.

Good luck

Find someone who will move in. Market it yourself or at least be willing to let management have it shown to prospective renters while you're still living there.

Latest resources

Back