• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Break Apartment Lease on Furlough?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I do have a transfer clause, but no termination clause. So I wish I was sent to a new base before the furlough. I'll ask them what my options are. Thanks

I've actually talked places out of making me sign a long term lease agreement after explaining the nature of the job, ie may have a base change, furlough, etc. They still made me sign a month to month lease, but with those I had no early termination to worry about. One place even wrote in on the contract that in the event of furlough, I could break the lease as long as I paid the current months rent, if I presented proof in writing. I know it's too late now, but in the future try getting them to work with you before you sign the paperwork. You may have to be persistent or even shop a bit, but it's cheap insurance.

Some states allow you to get out for loss of job.

I would do some research. After that I would suggest explaining you positon... NO INCOME. No income, no rent. No rent = headaches for the landlord.

I bet they let you out of it.

RSixer said:
The only way you can break a lease is to buy yourself out of it, about three months rent. They dont care if your out of work, you signed a lease and they want the rent. I've broken a few leases and been SOL, the only way to get out of one free and clear is moving for military duty. You can always ask though.

Not true! Different states have different laws. Check yours...you may be able to get out w/ a 30 day notice including no penalty with your deposit.

Latest resources

Back