• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Brazilian official's quote

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No one is comparing 911 to the Gol/Legacy accident; I believe he is talking about post-disaster feelings/emotions which Brazilians are also entitled to.
Everybody is talking like those guys have been sent to Abu Ghraib prison, while they are staying at JW Marriott hotel, in Copacaba.
They should be back in Long Island by the end of the month.

They should be back in Long Island by the end of the month.

No, they should be back at home last month. The US and brazil have an extradition treaty. It was an accident.

One more thing, I am curious why the brazilian (air force) controllers tried to assign an RVSM altitude to an airplane the were only getting a primary radar return from?? The ATC tapes have the BAF controllers calling the Legacy 7 times trying to assign FL360, while they are not getting a secondary (read transponder) radar return. Without a secondary return the Legacy would be unable to maintain RVSM, the crew of the Legacy did not know the BAF werer only getting a primary return..the BAF should have provided 2000 feet of separation to any aircraft they had no contact with.

NYR

Last edited:
Maybe the P.O.S Embraer transponder wasn't working. I've certainly had my fair share of P.O.S Embraer's lately. Their quality control from the factory is terrible.

Theres another thread running with an AD about the transponder. Apparently under certain conditions it can turn itself off with no warning to the pilots. The AD was proposed towards the middle of September with an effective date of the beginning of October I think. Its possible these people were victims of the AD.

I saw this AD as well. Do we know if it applies to the EMB jet?

I saw this AD as well. Do we know if it applies to the EMB jet?

The AD states the EMB 135bj, I know some may suspect Joe Sharkey had a bias, but at joesharkey.com you can read the AD and it INCLUDES the Legacy. And this......

Request To Revise Compliance Time Empresa Brasileira de Aeronautica S.A. (EMBRAER) requests that we extend the compliance time for the AFM revision from 5 to 30 days. EMBRAER asserts that the loss of the transponder does not pose so great of a hazard to justify such an urgent compliance time. As justification for extending the compliance time, EMBRAER states that some of the affected airplanes might be on international trips, where it may not be possible to return an airplane to a convenient location and accomplish the AFM revision within 5 days after the effective date of this AD.

And if it was covered by the recall, maybe Honeywell should look again. If it was a problem before, may it still is.

Last edited:
No, they should be back at home last month. The US and brazil have an extradition treaty. It was an accident.

One more thing, I am curious why the brazilian (air force) controllers tried to assign an RVSM altitude to an airplane the were only getting a primary radar return from?? The ATC tapes have the BAF controllers calling the Legacy 7 times trying to assign FL360, while they are not getting a secondary (read transponder) radar return. Without a secondary return the Legacy would be unable to maintain RVSM, the crew of the Legacy did not know the BAF werer only getting a primary return..the BAF should have provided 2000 feet of separation to any aircraft they had no contact with.

NYR

BAF should have provided 2000 foot separation to aircraft they were in communication with. Why is there not a BIG question as to why the 737 was not informed about an aircraft that was at the same alt. as the the 737. THE BAF IS TRYING TO SCAPEGOAT A CREW, simple as that!!

Unbelievable....they equate an accident with the worst terroist attack in history.
How is 9/11 the "worst" terrorist attack in history...it looked pretty successful to me.

"...in history" is pretty presumptive and the word "terrorist" possesses a definition that is easily manipulated.

No, they should be back at home last month. The US and brazil have an extradition treaty.
You're saying that the US government wants Brazil to send the pilots back to the US to face drug trafficking charges? You better go read that treaty.

How is 9/11 the "worst" terrorist attack in history...it looked pretty successful to me.

quote]

Are you sick? It's not that hard to understand the meaning of the post. As Americans and Patriots we choose to use the word "worst", you obviously choose otherwise.

You're saying that the US government wants Brazil to send the pilots back to the US to face drug trafficking charges? You better go read that treaty.

"Rice is in the Middle East and there was no immediate response to the letter. However, the State Department said if the pilots were allowed to leave and were later charged, there is an extradition treaty between the two countries. Spokesman Tom Casey said confiscating passports is standard procedure in Brazil".

Latest resources

Back