Brasilia type or not?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Wanderlust

I'm transitioning from the 1900 to the Brasilia as an FO. I asked the company what it would take to go ahead and get the type, and they told me I can pay the difference in cost. It looks like it'll be about $1,000. What do you guys think, is it worth it? I'll probably go back to the Beech when I upgrade, so I may not get the opportunity again.

No. Put $1000 into your retirement fund instead or pay down some debt. Brasilias will go away and only cargo dogs will fly them.

Do you feel as though you can pass a type ride in an a/c you have no time in with 1000 hrs (if your profile is up to date)? It's always better to have more ratings than not. 1000 bucks (if it's burning a hole in your pocket) isn't much in the long run. Go for it, if you're confident about the whole process. It would suck though to spend the cash, then bust the ride when it wasn't really necessary. Just something to think about.

Paying for a type rating is the stupidest thing you can do. This is how companies screw their pilots. If you decide to do this, the company may decide this is the way they want all their pilots to get their types. Save your money and enjoy the Mighty Beech.

I'll be flying the brasilia whether I'm typed in it or not. I'm just paying the difference between the type ride and the FO qualification. If I were upgrading, the company would pay for the type, but chances are it'll be in the Beech when the time comes. I figured I'd take this rating while I have the chance.

The Brasilia is one of the hardest types out there. The level of knowledge for an EMB-120 type is way above that expected for an FO.

I would say save your money. Your chance of failing the type ride is pretty high and you won't get much for having it in your pocket if you pass.

Spend the pennies on the type. It'll make the next one much easier.

Study a little harder than the FO course and if you don't feel ready to take the type ride, don't.

Besides, what would you spend the thousand bucks on anyways, food? (If you need it for food, find a different company!)

Latest resources

Back