Boyd says LCC's have their problems approaching

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
YourPilotFriend said:
In my opinion, SWA will be in or near bankruptcy by 2008-2009.

YourPilotFriend,
Just curious on what situation or issues that you see to bring you to this conclusion. Thanx.

lifeguard said:
If a passenger is only flying 2-3 times a year..he is going to have a hard time earning a ticket on Southwest too.

Yea I know, I was going to put 8-9 for the simplicity of the free ticket, but it just ends up in a p!ssing match anyway. Bottom line is if you fly enough to cover 100,000 miles or more, I would thing you could afford to just buy a ticket to Europe and not have the hassle of the blackouts.

"In my opinion, SWA will be in or near bankruptcy by 2008-2009."

In my 5+ years of reading FlightInfo, THAT is the most ridiculous statement I've ever seen here. Dude, you are NOT smart...

They will point to Airtran, with their "point-to-point" service and their low-paid employees. They don't realize that Airtran pays it's 717 Captains more than Delta or United or Northwest pays their widebody Captains. They also don't realize that Airtran is a Hub carrier just like Delta, Northwest and United.
Sorry Abe, minor BS flag on the play.....

At least for now,even with the huge concessions, DAL and NWA pay more for every widebody CA than Airtran pays the most senior 717 CA. Same for UAL(747-400 & 777) with the exception of 767 CA which is $4/hr less than AT 12yr 717CA.

Not that any of this matters, just trivia............:)

YourPilotFriend said:
How did the employees choke the life out of it? SWA has the highest paid employee's in the industry. Don't worry GuppyWN you can join the rest of us here in the paycut world soon. In my opinion, SWA will be in or near bankruptcy by 2008-2009.

Well..
I guess we fooled them again boys..

As long as folks think we are harmless and about to die a very public death they will continue to blame something/sombody else for their woes.

About every quarter some wise ass makes a statment like we are just a tic toc away from some disaster.

But never provides supporting data nor qualified information as to how this is supposed to be happening.

What some of you folks dont get is that we are ALWAYS close to the edge.

We plan to be CLOSE TO THE EDGE.We LIKE being close to the edge.

And we will do everything required to stay as close to the edge as possible.

Some posters on this board are like Mike Boyd.

They read the posts here,look thru then WSJ or NYT and then spout some earth shattering news that at best is fiction very loosely based on a very narrow collection of biased reports or opions.

People like Mike Boyd are nothing but hired mouth pieces that on slow days when hes not writing for a client like American or United,spout off the obvious and charge you for it while laughing all the way to the bank.

In other words..He is nothing but a hired tool.

Give him no more credit than that and you wont be surprised nor disappointed.

Give him more..You very well may find yourself at the very least embarassed and at the very worst BROKE.

Originally Posted by YourPilotFriend
How did the employees choke the life out of it? SWA has the highest paid employee's in the industry. Don't worry GuppyWN you can join the rest of us here in the paycut world soon. In my opinion, SWA will be in or near bankruptcy by 2008-2009.

Originally posted by Abe44
My prediction (you heard it here first!) is that LCC pilots/flight attendants/mechanics/gate agents/etc will be crying about their company coming to them for givebacks in the near future because they can't compete with the so-called "legacy" carrier costs.

C'mon guys. Delta started losing money in '01 and just declared BK in '05, almost 5 years of losses. Do you really think BK in 3 years will happen at a SWA? A carrier that now pays cash for a majority of their new aircraft (8% growth) and still posts a profit. With those pesky fuel hedges strong until the end of 2007 and some until 2009. IMHO, if you want to predict BK in 3 years pick a carrier posting losses with a less robust balance sheet.

Abe44,

Your assertion makes more sense, but I disagree. See the above paragraph. Mostly, I think the near future is too soon. The human nature factor will loom large and IF pay cuts are on the table, you are right, the whining will be louder than a T-37 during the second engine start.

Also, look at www.airlinepilotcentral.com Airtran, or any other pax carrier, does not pay narrowbody captains more than legacy widebody captains. Maybe ABX does.

All I know is that a huge debt load killed TWA. It wasn't an instant death but it killed them just the same.

Those carriers coming out of bankruptcy are or will be carrying a huge debt load. So does AA. Anyone is crazy to talk of real (not just paper magic) profits at these carriers until that debt load is substantially (90%) reduced along with the debt service payments. AA has to siphon $1 BILLION straight off the top of their annual revenue to service the debt. Scares me.

Personally, I have been treated better on the LCC's (SWA, Frontier and AT) than on the Legacies. That is what determines where my money goes.TC

abe44 said:
They also will tell you that all LCC's are profitable. Not so, just look at Jet Blue's recently reported loss......or Airtran's latest quarter and 2006 estimate....or SWA's 2005 performance (minus their fuel hedges).

AirTran's 2006 fiscal year average profit estimate ranges anywhere from a low of $0.70 per share (AirTran's own website: http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=64267&p=irol-estimates) to a high of $0.88 per share (http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/invsub/analyst/earnest.asp?Symbol=AAI). The spread from individual analysts varies from $0.24 per share (http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ae?s=AAI) to $1.44 per share. Of course, AirTran may surprise all of the analysts and post a loss for the next fiscal year, but even with the lowest estimate for 2006, profits should approximately double FY 04 results. None of the analysts that I saw are forecasting a loss in FY 06 at AirTran.

800Dog said:
Spoken like a management love child! If the legacies go away, how do our troops get to and from the theater? LUV, Jetblue, AirFrance, Lufthansa?

ATA, World, Omni, etc.

Latest resources

Back