Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Poor Mikeeee

Phil O'Sopher said:
I have never been very impressed with anything that Mr. Boyd had to say or with his "sermon from the mount" manner. His full bio from his website is very unimpressive and he strikes me as just another self proclaimed expert who couldn't make it in the business and joined a large group of snake oil salesmen who try to convince everyone that they have a legitimate service to sell. He is to aviation consulting what Kit Darby is to aviation employment.

Ran the marketing department into the ground for a couple of carriers, no body would hire him then he starts his own firm. He has not been right about anything at a major level since 1995. The only things he gets right are the obvious issues that everybody already knows.
The media goes to him because he thinks it boost his image and marketability of his firm. It is almost as pathetic as Maria Schavo getting the call every time an accident occurs. She and Mikee would not know actual cause and effect if it bit them in the face.

What a joke, please quote anytime in Mikee's history that he has been right about the progression of reality.

Tref said:
The way I understand it is that you can't buy jet fuel on the futures market and there is some kind of a swap with heating oil futures. Obviously I don't know the details, that's why I was asking.

Having said that, I was told by someone who should know. I don't know enough about it to argue with you, but I don't know you and I do know the person who told me this. I'm betting he's right.

Maybe you should check into the details of the SWA hedge and then tell me with more confidence how retarded I am.

Ok, I checked into it and you're still retarded.

Insults aside, I did a Google on SWA fuel hedging (as you could have done as well) I found a good academic paper here, with the following quote:

Jet fuel futures contracts do not exist in the United States, so futures on crude or heating oil must be used instead to hedge jet fuel purchases. Because these futures contracts are based on an underlying commodity other than jet fuel, they introduce basis risk because they are not perfectly correlated. Basis is generally defined as: Basis = spot price of hedged item – futures price of selected contract

So, back to what I was saying, the cost of the futures contract is based on today's spot price. From reading the paper, SWA uses over-the-counter contracts (traded by investment banks) on fuel oil, which has a 93% correlation with jet fuel, since jet fuel contracts don't exist to purchase.

Here's the interesting part: SWA uses a "mean reversion" strategy, where they bet on the cyclic part of oil prices, "what goes up, must come down".

Here's another interesting quote:

Secondly, hedging allows airlines to take advantage of investment opportunities in times of high commodity prices. Carter et. al. demonstrate that airline investment opportunities are positively correlated with periods of high jet fuel prices. This is explained by the significant distress costs in the industry. It is more likely that airlines will go bankrupt when fuel prices are very high, and in such cases they are often forced to sell planes and other assets at substantially below-market prices.

Another quote: As of December 2003, Southwest had a mixture of purchased call options, and fixed price swap agreements in place to hedge portions of its expected 2004-2007 jetfuel consumption.

So back to my argument that your rumor is retarded, saying "I hear the company that does SWA'S futures is headed for bankruptcy", is about the same as saying "I understand the entire financial system of the US is headed for bankruptcy".

arthompson said:
Danger my apologies, I must have confused his bio with someone else. I have been reading alot of big wig bios lately and am posting from work. My apologies to you and everyone else for posting bad information.

Art,

No need to apologize to me. I just knew that he is not a pilot from reading his website. I must admit I am one of his fans.

DK

Peanut gallery said:
What a joke, please quote anytime in Mikee's history that he has been right about the progression of reality.

Ok then, why dont you post something where Boyd has been wrong?

Boyd is right on much of what he said, I've been hearing the same news for some time now, nothing inspired or fresh here.

Obviously, SWA labor cost is approaching industry leading only because they have been so profitable and most every other airline is in a race to the bottom, including my little ATA. Gary Kelly is trying to offset high hourly costs with increased productivity, so far SWA has been doing a good job. SWA will raise fares with increased fuel charges, they can afford to do this since they are the market makers in most routes they fly.

The difference, as I see from the outside, between the SWA culture and every other legacy carrier in existence is TRUST. If SWA management does everything possible to maintain profitability and still must approach the pilots for some form of concession, I believe that the pilots will work together with management to reach similiar goals. I have never seen this kind of management/employee relationship from any airline I have worked at, including a former dinosaur airline that closed it's doors in 91'.

I observe SWA and I shake my head because everything they do is so simple, so easily copied and just about everyone is trying to. They say it's not what they do but who is doing it, maybe they are right.

My money is still on SWA to be the airline to watch.

radarlove said:
Ok, I checked into it and you're still retarded.

Insults aside, I did a Google on SWA fuel hedging (as you could have done as well) I found a good academic paper here, with the following quote:

Jet fuel futures contracts do not exist in the United States, so futures on crude or heating oil must be used instead to hedge jet fuel purchases. Because these futures contracts are based on an underlying commodity other than jet fuel, they introduce basis risk because they are not perfectly correlated. Basis is generally defined as: Basis = spot price of hedged item – futures price of selected contract

So, back to what I was saying, the cost of the futures contract is based on today's spot price. From reading the paper, SWA uses over-the-counter contracts (traded by investment banks) on fuel oil, which has a 93% correlation with jet fuel, since jet fuel contracts don't exist to purchase.

Here's the interesting part: SWA uses a "mean reversion" strategy, where they bet on the cyclic part of oil prices, "what goes up, must come down".

Here's another interesting quote:

Secondly, hedging allows airlines to take advantage of investment opportunities in times of high commodity prices. Carter et. al. demonstrate that airline investment opportunities are positively correlated with periods of high jet fuel prices. This is explained by the significant distress costs in the industry. It is more likely that airlines will go bankrupt when fuel prices are very high, and in such cases they are often forced to sell planes and other assets at substantially below-market prices.

Another quote: As of December 2003, Southwest had a mixture of purchased call options, and fixed price swap agreements in place to hedge portions of its expected 2004-2007 jetfuel consumption.

So back to my argument that your rumor is retarded, saying "I hear the company that does SWA'S futures is headed for bankruptcy", is about the same as saying "I understand the entire financial system of the US is headed for bankruptcy".

Actually, I found the same article after I read your post. From the Kellog School? It has to be the same one. Does that mean that we are both equally retarded? It'd be nice if you could just get an answer without being attacked.

BTW, did you read the part of that paper that said that there is risk involved with hedging and that airlines usually use several different financial institutions to spread the risk?

I found things in the paper that both supported and refuted the rumor. Be nice to hear from someone who actually knows instead of someone who is just guessing. That's what I was looking for with my original "retarded" post.

I'm starting to think this whole conversation is becoming a bit retarded. You never flew airbuses by any chance? "Retard, retard."

Tref said:
Actually, I found the same article after I read your post. From the Kellog School? It has to be the same one. Does that mean that we are both equally retarded? It'd be nice if you could just get an answer without being attacked.

BTW, did you read the part of that paper that said that there is risk involved with hedging and that airlines usually use several different financial institutions to spread the risk?

I found things in the paper that both supported and refuted the rumor. Be nice to hear from someone who actually knows instead of someone who is just guessing. That's what I was looking for with my original "retarded" post.

I'm starting to think this whole conversation is becoming a bit retarded. You never flew airbuses by any chance? "Retard, retard."

The second insult was a bit toungue-in-cheek, spreading a rumor that could quick become an urban legend ("Jet Blue doesn't pay for their airplanes") was a bit of an irritant to me.

Yes, the swaps (not futures!) carry some risk of default, but only if the investment bank actually goes under, which they don't. It's kind of like worrrying about your $200,000 certificate of deposit because it's over the FDIC insurance maximum. Yeah, one could argue that the bank could dissapear and you'd lose a good portion of your deposit, but the chances are miniscule. Again, we're just talking the swap part of the hedging, not futures contracts or put/call options which make up the vast majority of the financial position.

Back to your original statement, that "the company that handles futures for SWA is about to go bankrupt", I hope by now you realize that that is a complete fabrication. It's like saying, "I heard the stock market is going to go bankrupt." It doesn't even make sense.

Futures/swaps/options are built by investment banks in a nearly risk-free fashion. They don't make their money by "betting", they make it by charging a premium for coming up with the perfect product for your needs and they formulate the product to have zero risk on their side.

To take this further, there isn't some "loser" on the other side of the SWA hedges, the fuel was actually purchased for the contracts at the time they were entered and that fuel is simply worth a lot more now than it was then, but the transaction happened back then. The bank made their profit at the time of the transaction.

Tref said:
It'd be nice if you could just get an answer without being attacked.

Yep. I had to scratch my head in bewilderment at the original comment about your post being the most retarted thing ever (or whatever it said). Seemed like a perfectly reasonable question/comment you had, and a completely over-the-top response.

Let's see furloughed AA prob TWA

Dangerkitty said:

So tell us about mr. Boyd's predictions about the Ichan agreement to back away and how that would guarantee the survivability of TW. Tell us about mr. Boyd's predictions on the merger of TW and AA and how that would go. Since you are probably most familiar with that story let's see if you can remember the Boyd group predictions. This would be a great place to start looking at predictions vs. reality.

Dangerkitty said:

How about this one?

But Michael Boyd, an aviation consultant and principal of the Boyd Group, said Monday that United could well be strong enough to avoid bankruptcy, and criticized Creighton for implying otherwise.

"I think he did it as a ploy to scare the unions," Boyd said. "The downside for United is it scares the vendors. It scares the public.

Latest resources

Back