• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Boyd negative on SkyBus, thinks its' dumb idea

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cheap airfare with the high prices of fuel today simply will not work. When I was at Independence, our planes were going out full and still losing money. Besides, no matter how inexpensive they may be, people eventually become pissed off at being nickled and dimed to death. They don't even have connections, you have to get your luggage and go back out to the ticket counter and purchase another ticket, then pay for your luggage to be checked in, and of course as always with walk up tickets, you're subject to the humiliating strip searches at the security checkpoints.
We'll see how long it'll last.

You love to rag on Delta, but you never get it right. Delta really doesn't care about flights from Columbis since CVG doesn't really have any O&D traffic, and is mainly a hub and spoke type airport.
Bye Bye--General Lee

Your international flights are in good shape. Hub to hub flying is safe. I'm talking about a few of the other routes. Many served by RJs.

Are you telling me all those cars in the long term lot are owned by employees and vendors??

Cheap airfare with the high prices of fuel today simply will not work. When I was at Independence, our planes were going out full and still losing money. Besides, no matter how inexpensive they may be, people eventually become pissed off at being nickled and dimed to death. They don't even have connections, you have to get your luggage and go back out to the ticket counter and purchase another ticket, then pay for your luggage to be checked in, and of course as always with walk up tickets, you're subject to the humiliating strip searches at the security checkpoints.
We'll see how long it'll last.

50 seaters vs. 120+ seaters???

With maintenance, customer service and employee costs similar, the economics didn't make sense with RJ's.

If you had operated an all 319 fleet it may have been different.

Timing is everthing. I can't tell if this is a good time. Fare hikes have stuck the last couple of years but have recently failed to stick. Legacies have been able to secure profits in some recent quarters. Independence started at a collosally bad time.

Last edited:
Ryan air is doing well, but Europe and the US are totally different markets!
Europe is FULL of kids and gipsy's (my Borat coming out) who will fly them for next to nothing...we in the U.S at least want a coke.

We are looking more and more like Europe every year.

Higher home prices.

Losses of higher paying manufactoring and even white collar jobs.

Higher gas prices.

And just wait...Higher taxes are coming.

Goodbye Gen X....Hello GenGypsy

Higher home prices.

Higher gas prices.

You forgot, Good-Bye Middle Class America

Higher home prices.

Higher gas prices.

don't forget free healthcare ( yes you can still buy insurance for your family for $50 a month for non-emergency procedures to avoid any waiting, is not canadian welfare medicine, is socialized, different system), almost free college education( $1,500 year including books and lab fees unless you are poor, in wich cse is totally free), 4 weeks paid vacation, 12 aditional paid hollydays, fully funded pension plans so you don't need to fund your own retirement unless you want too and transportation unions that are not handcuffed by an anti-constitutional RLA.

Add the premiums of your health insurance, your 401k contribution, your college loans and college fund for your kids ( if you have) as a percentage of your income to your marginal tax rate and you will see how you are paying more in hidden taxes than you think, then substract the 12 paid hollydays and 2 weeks vacation from your total income, then compae to pay rates of pilots in europe. I say plese let us came closer to europe please.

I'll date myself by asking this...

Does anyone here remember People Express?

Skybus seems to have adopted much of the failed People Express model and added the retail sales twist. I don't see this carrier lasting too long.

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it!

Fly safe!

I can't believe anyone would agree to an Airbus capt. position for $65k. The crack in the dam just got a lot bigger. I can't find another career fast enough.

Your international flights are in good shape. Hub to hub flying is safe. I'm talking about a few of the other routes. Many served by RJs.

Are you telling me all those cars in the long term lot are owned by employees and vendors??

We own the busiest hub in the world (70% of the people flying thru ATL are on DL). In the World, again for you. Our other hubs do well too, and CVG, which you mentioned, is not an O&D type of city. (just like CMH) Do you go to Columbus for fun on the weekends with the wife (for other things than an OSU game)? Didn't think so.

As far as domestic routes with RJs, we are trying to fix that currently. We are replacing 50 seat RJs with 76 seat RJs with 12 first class seats, to hopefully keep some of our better passengers with some sort of an upgrade. We are also looking at getting more domestic mainline planes ASAP, and I can't really share any of that since it is still in the rumor stage, albeit a good rumor. Our new management conceeds that we have too many RJs, and that will hopefully be rectified sooner rather than later.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back