• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Typhoon1244

Member in Good Standing
aewanabe said:
Now for the rest of you broken-record dorks who had to go through the same, tired, "bottom-feeder" refrain...

...I've Jumpseated a couple dozen times on ASA and Comair, including 5 or so in the cockpit. I've received nothing but professional, courteous treatment from all your crews. So what's the deal? Am I really only running into the 1% of guys who don't know enough to hate me for dragging down the industry?
We generally try to wait until you've walked away to make rude comments about your mother and stick pins in our Cha-voodoo-qua dolls. :D

But seriously, folks...it's easy to loathe Chataqua's management, and it's easy to blame Chataqua's pilot group for the ills of the "small jet" industry. It's very difficult, however, to focus all those emotions on one poor guy who just wants a ride home. I remember meeting a pilot whose uniform I didn't recognize. When I asked him who he was with, he put on a self-conscious look, leaned in close, and whispered, "Mesa."

Pretty funny...but once I got talking to the guy, guess what I discovered. He wasn't a bottom feeder, he was a human being...who happens to work for a guy who makes Frank Lorenzo look like Mother Theresa. What right do I have to insult this guy or call him names?

So given the current situation, what should these "bottom feeders" do about their salaries? Resign in protest? For every one of them--us--there are a hundred want-to-be's in Daytona, Vero Beach, Prescott, Norman, etc., who would do the job for less, just to get into the cockpit of a jet. As long as there are people who love to fly, there will be businessmen waiting to take advantage of them.

Remember, Chataqua's pilots are not telling Delta to give them ASA/Comair routes any more than we're telling Delta to give us mainline routes. Those decisions are out of our hands, so let's quit blaming fellow pilots for our troubles.

Nice post Typhoon. It would be easy for even us...the red headed forgotten step child of Chautauqua to loath them, but you don't become the #1 regional in the world for no reason and still have happy folks working there. 1st class gang there!

*Hey CHQ, remember those Saabs we took off your hands? Can we have your old jets yet?* ;)

Besides, where has all this pi$$ing and moaning got us so far? Nowhere. It hasn't changed one contract that I know of. I gave a ride to a CHQ pilot just the other day. I welcomed him aboard, asked him if he had a good Xmas, and asked him to backup my F/A if she needed help. Throwing some cheap shot about bringing down the industry would have been rude, counterproductive and cowardly knowing that the guy probably couldn't respond without jeopardizing his ride. Same thing with the major freightdogs that still can't reciprocate (3+ years and counting). Don't get me started on that one. They also get a warm welcome and a no hassle lift home.

It's fine to suggest that another company could do better by it's pilots and the pilots could have negotiated more. It's an entirely different matter to personalize it and childishly attempt to rebuke an individual just trying to pay the bills and maybe hitch a ride home.

Last edited:
Weasel Keeper said:
*Hey CHQ, remember those Saabs we took off your hands? Can we have your old jets yet?* ;)

Only if we can take out a row of seats first, of course.

I have always wondering why CHQ are considered bottom feeders.

If you compare pay rates and work rules, is $2-$4 an hour difference from airline to airline really that big of a deal? We have a decent contract with decent work rules. It's not Comair (no one is right now), it is not Mesa.

I think people call us bottom feeders because maybe our company is better managed then other regionals? People always say we are stealing other's flying because our pilot rates are low. Pilot rates are a small part of the picture. USair pilot rates are below Southwest, USair makes no money, SWA makes tons. We have aggressive management that will do their job - MAKE MONEY FOR THE COMPANY.

Maybe, if our company was poorly managed, we wouldn't be such a "bottom feeder".

generaltso said:
I have always wondering why CHQ are considered bottom feeders.

If you compare pay rates and work rules, is $2-$4 an hour difference from airline to airline really that big of a deal? We have a decent contract with decent work rules. It's not Comair (no one is right now), it is not Mesa.

Two to four dollars per hour less than everyone (perhaps) but Comair. You were suppose to at least get close, you aren't. Sweet Jesus, look at the FO rates. I make $7 per hour more than your five-year FO. That's close to $7,000 per year or $583 per month. That's a lot of money!!! Think of what can be funded with that. A new home, a car, retirement, or a child's education. But no, you sold out the FO for that CA slot. Well guess what, you won't grow forever, just as we're finding out.

A quick glance over the CA rates shows $9-$12 difference in the 70-seat and a $5-$10 difference in the 40/50 seat range. Guys, that's a lot of money especially if you apply it to a retirement account or other savings.

Ok, you said you accepted this contract because of Republic. I certainly hope you have no problems getting Comair (or whomever) + the next time around. No excuses!

Oh, and as for the changing economy and 9/11, it's funny how Comair pilots didn't lower the bar with a "concessions-for-growth" opportunity last year (or was it 2003). We won't be bullied by management.

--Sky

"Pilot rates are a small part of the picture."

Then why did you guys sell out your FO's? $34 an hour max pay and you have to be on 4th year pay to get that! BTW, it isn't 2-4 bucks an hour. Your 2nd year FO makes $29. A 2nd year CMR FO gets $37. That's $8 an hour difference and it equates to you working for 27.5% less than the CMR FO. If you compare 70 seat rates it's a $12 an hour difference, or 41% less!

Last edited:
generaltso said:
I think people call us bottom feeders because maybe our company is better managed then other regionals? Maybe, if our company was poorly managed, we wouldn't be such a "bottom feeder".
Better managed? Are you kidding?

You know, I started this thread defending you guys...and this is what I get.

Screw you, generaltso.

"Sweet Jesus, look at the FO rates. I make $7 per hour more than your five-year FO. That's close to $7,000 per year or $583 per month"

We have no 5 year FOs and Chautauqua. They're captains in 18 months.

Latest resources

Back