Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Col.Hogan

Howdy,
Just got called this morning for an interview with BMA. Curious to get anyones opinion on them, and any info on pay, schedule etc. Thanks..... Hogan

Col.Hogan- I am curious when you submitted your resume? An old thread on this airline said it was taking a bouple of months to get a response from them. I think you are one of the first pilots to report getting a call.

I officially sent in my resume March 26, 2002. I kept sending updates to them every month and talking on the phone to BMA to make sure my faxes got there. Hogan

just a suggestion

with your time and qualifications you might want to send in a resume to Colgan. I believe that they are a little more stable, and definetely fly better airplanes.

Next class for BMA is Jul 22. Will start interviewing soon for that class, maybe they have a small pool already. Last class to start had 5 new hires for the Jetstream, 1 upgrade, 1 new hire for the Casa 212, and two internal transitions to the Casa 212. Last class started last Monday.

Only domicile is Portsmouth, NH. They fly 19 pax Jetstreams as the Pan Am Connection. Some flying down in FL (Naples, Sanford, St Pete, MIA). Most flying is in Northeast and starting in late June St. John's Canada.

Starting pay is 24k for FOs and 33.6k for Capts. If have lots of experience can start as CAPT. They pay for the hotel and or crew apartment while in training plus $25/day per diem. Start on the payroll when checkride is passed in the sim. All sim training at Dulles at the Pan Am sim center.

Non union, limited benefits (med/dental/life ins), no 401K. Schedule can be rough with 6 on and 1 or 2 days off. Most line pilots are flying 90-100 hrs a month. Getting more Jetstreams
out of the desert later this year.

Study AIM, part 91 for the interview as they give a written test during the interview. No sim ride.

BIG THING TO CONSIDER: They require you to sign a five year, yes I said five year training contract (prorated).

They are a new Part 121 carrier. Seniority list is small (about 40) and will need more as they plan to add to their fleet.

If you live in the Northeast, this airline may be an option for you.

A serious question: Who would ever sign a 5 year contract to fly a Jetstream for a company to works you like a dog? 5 years is an awfully long time.

Gump the Pilot

Capt_zman...
I agree with you. 5 years is a long time to be worked like a dog. BUT, if you have no turbine time, and are fed up with an endless flow of students that work you 6 days a week, just to get by, it might be worth it. I also fly 135 in a BE58 (which is I LOVE) all for 12.50/hr with no benefits, no insurance no raise in 4 years:( (As the great one said, "Stupid is as stupid does.") I have tried other regionals but with no responce. This may be my only chance to get a lot of turbine-multi time quick, so I can move on the better things. I don't mean any disrespect, I am just ready to move on. Unfortunately, CFI's and 135ers, I have found, are really taken advatage of. Regards, Hogan

capt_zman said:
A serious question: Who would ever sign a 5 year contract to fly a Jetstream for a company to works you like a dog? 5 years is an awfully long time.

Some people will do anything for an airline job.

Anyone know what the pay is like? The 19 seat non-union carrier I used to work at gave FOs a dollar an hour raise per year and captains something like $1.20 per year, topping out at around $40 per hour after 10 years. It would be kind of rough being locked in to something like that for 5 years.

As for CFIs and 135ers being taken advantage of, that only happens if you allow it to happen.

Col Hogan,

I understand your frustration, but look at the long term and not just the short. Yes, it's tough working for peanuts with no future on the horizon, but being locked into a 5 year note is, in my mind, just not worth it.

There are many regionals out there, most of whom are hiring today. With your times, you should be right in the middle if not on the high side of the regional hiring qualifications. Be patient, you'll get your shot.

Imagine if you went to work on a 5 year contract, got your 1000 hrs of Turbine PIC in 2 years, got the interview and then a job with Southwest, but had the remaining 3 years hanging over your head? That's a lot of cash you'd have to come up with, and if I'm not mistaken, you won't be rolling in it, which will make it very difficult for you.

The analogy above is one of thousands that may happen to you over the next 5 years, so sit back and seriously reflect on what your 1, 3, and 5 year goals are.

Latest resources

Back