Bose X Headset Caveats - FYI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FearlessFreep

I have owned a Bose X headset for about a year. Recently after having not using it in a while (furloughed) I started using it and noticed that on occasion if there is any sort of bumping or vibration that contacts the headset the ANR function will shut off. I have also found that even just sitting there without touching the headset the ANR would just shut off. I tried changing the batteries out and this did not have an effect.

I just got off the phone with Bose tech support and they informed me that it was the Ear Pads. The ear pads are specially acoustically engineered to work in conjunction with the ANR electronics. The foam that they utilze has special acoustical properties and as such MUST be replaced with OEM pads or the unit will not work properly.

This is the kicker - the tech stated that the rated lifetime of the ear pads is...200 hours of use. My usage of the headsets turned out to be about 270 hours, so that is pretty much on the mark.

If I would have known that I was paying $980.00 for a headset in which I would have to dole out an additional $20.00 for every 200 hours of operation over and beyond the cost of 9 volt batteries I would have given this purchase much more serious consideration. A lifetime of 200 hours of usage at $20.00 a pop is totally unacceptable to me. I will have to start looking for an acceptable replacement.

On top of this in October I ordered the mike/pendant update for the headset. That was supposed sent to me by now. I was now informed that the date of availability has no been pushed out to mid December. The support of these headsets are for me a big surprise since in the past I have always dealt with David Clark and have never had any problems. DC headset operation has never had the proviso of not properly operating after 200 hours of usage.

If anyone has any suggestions for an alternative ANR solution for use in a 3 crewmember jet please let me know what it is.

If I find an acceptable replacement there will be a pair of Bose X headsets available at a fire sale price!

Bose=expensive junk

That's one of the reasons why I refuse to buy a Bose headset. I've flown with too many Captains that have had too many problems with those damm things. The ANR keeps going out, wiring coming out of the headset causing all kinds of noises and interference making the ANR function worthless. Having to buy separate parts too often like you just described. I'll stick with my trusty Dave Clark H10-30 which is 7 years old which has survived multiple drops on solid concrete, drops in deep puddles of water after squeezing myself out of the 150 on raining days, leaving it overnight in a aircraft when the temp is below 0 degrees F. And having to buy ear seals at 20 bucks every 200 hours? Complete bull$hit. Bose intentionally designed the headset like that so they can laugh all they way to the bank when the suckers who bought it keep shelling out the cash.

Last edited:
I have had nothing but great results with mine with over 1800 hours of use (with one replacement of the ear pads at about 1500 hours. Mine will lose the ANR on a very weak battery when it contacts a vibrating surface, but never with a new battery.

If you want to get rid of them, let me know.

Well, I guess I just lucked out..
Because I have had a Bose X for over a year now, and put 1000+ hours on it.. it lived in my flight bag on cold cold -30 MT winter mornings and on 100 summer days.. no problems so far. I must say that I am happy with it so far, but then again this is the first I have heard about the earcups..

I'll buy your bose. Just let me know. As for use in a turbojet; why not just use a telex airman? Something light enough you don't have to think about it. After all, you're in a turbojet.

If you need an ANR unit, Telex makes several good ones, as does Senheiser, all in the five hundred dollar range.

Try Sennheiser. They have comparable sound quality to the Bose and they have good mikes too. German engineering at its finest!

Same here. Mines have lasted so far for a good 800 hrs. w/ no trouble. Only time the ANR bumps off is with a low batt. When Bdays and Christmas comes around I just ask for 9 V's and then I'm set for a while:D

Well over 2500 hours on my Bose X and not a single problem. No new ear cups, never been serviced, no new nothing. Only a fresh battery every 45 hours or so. I have found that people that don't treat their equipment with care will have problems with the Bose. Dropping your Bose "on solid concrete" or "in deep puddles of water" will not go over to well. Its unfortunate that a full earcup, ultra quiet, amazingly lightweight headset can't be manufactured to withstand nuclear war but such is the price that must be paid for the best aviation headset ever made.

First I've heard of the earcup issue.

Gotta agree with those above. Thus far +1500hrs on mine without a problem. Money well spent in my mind. I've had DC's and still have one as a back up. After long legs I always felt like a vice in the DC, can easily do 3-4hrs with the bose. But most importantly.... been driving a tprop and I can still hear.;)

Well thanks for all your inputs - couple of things; my headsets have always been well taken care of so it is not like I have abused the equipment. I have used a number of headsets over the years. In the jet cockpit the DC's are not appropriate, so I really don't want to go into how effective these units are in prop aircraft. I have used them already and they are quality units, though after using the Sennheiser unit DC's are truly head clamps.

Here are my short reviews on some equipment I have direct experience with:

Telex 750's - audio on one side died, no noise attenuation, use with earplugs necessitated turning up the radio to very high levels, and I still might miss radio calls. Was too light and would fall off my head. Modified with a 5x5 dual band headband that made the headset fit much better.

Telex 5x5 w/earmold - Never was loud enough, would miss radio calls and was downright painful after use all day. No noise attenuation whatsoever.

Sennheiser HMEC-25KA - Sweet unit, semi-closed cup design, sits directly on your ear. ANR with that design is actually superior to my DC ENR unit which is a fully closed ear cup design. Works great, batteries (2 ea AA's) last long time. Why do I still not use these? After about 3 hours of use I get hotspots on my head and the pain from the cups sitting directly on the ears induces headaches that are nearly debilitating. I have tried everything to get this set to be comfortable for up to 12 hour flights. Intra crew communication was easily facilitated and in the case some crewmembers voice pitch would be drowned out by ambient noise, one of the ear cups could be pivoted to the side. Never had a complaint with usage of the mic. Actually have had complements on it's clarity. Did work on HF as well, though on occasion did have problems (This is a pretty common occurence with all headsets which would necessitate utilization of the hand mike for HF communication)

Bose X - The most comfortable unit that I have had. Prior to purchase read some reviews that extolled the value of these headsets and confirmed their utilization capacity in a jet cockpit. Noise attenuation is NOT as good as the Sennheiser, but again the unit is more comfortable and this is a major factor of operation. Intra crew communication is more of a problem and unless the other crewmembers speak very distinctly or the pitch of their voice is very different than that of the ambient noise frequency I usually end up having to wear the set with one cup off the ear. Sort defeats the point of having an ANR headset. Occasionally have had complaints about the transmit quality from the mic, and yes I have it close enough to my mouth. It is still very disappointing to have problems with the unit so early in it's service life.

I would be interested in hearing how well the Telex 850's are, but they would not be an option as the aircraft I fly are not equipped with a hot mike, VOX or whatever else is required to power that unit. If it had an external power source it might be an option depending on just how well they function.

The Panther CAT system looks interesting but I would really like to have receive capability in both ears and I do not know how effective intra crew communication would be with the earmolds in place all the time.

Well that's my take on it!

Good Luck To Us All!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back