• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

100-1/2

OVER-N-DUN!
20-something pilot killed in an E-36.

Looks like multiple legs between MDW/LOU over recent days.

Several small potato outfits and a sub-par broker running a couple of cherokee 6's over the last couple of years have been jockiing for this route.

Looks like an aircraft without de-ice equipment flying through Forecast[Multiple Airmets] and Known Ice [multiple PIREPs] early in the morning.

Some tool was kind enough to post pictures of the wreck on the Flight Aware Registration info within hours of the crash. What an A$$WHOLE!

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N7472N

RIP kid.
100-1/2

That's very sad to hear. The heaviest icing i've encountered in 6 years of of flying turboprops was just Tuesday, within a couple hundred miles of that crash. FO and I were talking about what it would be like in an A/C without deice equipment....

It's official- CP of Freight Broker turned Air Carrier with a pair of cherokee 6's.

http://www.kcci.com/money/18311435/detail.html

The owner of the company ran 2 Cherokees for almost 2 years even though he only had one on certificate. Word around LOU was he bragged about having an "in" at the FSDO. "Certificated in less than 6 months." Not sure he is even a pilot himself.

Current FAA Records don't list a Bonanza on certificate.

http://av-info.faa.gov/detail.asp?DSGN_CODE=QZOA&OPER_FAR=135&OPER_NAME=AIR+OPS+INC

Here we go. Mad dash by the FAA to deeply[more] scrutinize the rest of us because some loser was cutting corners right in their FSDO's front yard.

Can you also say, MAJOR rewrite to FAR 119.71(c) and/or the complete loss of a waiver of certain experience requirements in this part?

"Surely as CP with the appropriate and required experience, this tragedy would have never happened...." Infinite FAA Wisdom expected.

Never mind the loser running the joint likely brow-beat the kid into flying in that weather without the appropriate equipment to adequately address the elements. In this market there were likely more than enough meat-sacs standing by ready to take the CP's position.

With people like this running air carriers, we all lose eventually.

Prayers for the family. If any one knows them, please, make sure they know there was a minimum of $75k coming to them from the insurance Air Ops was required to have for their Economic Authority.
It is over and above any other coverages the CP might have had through his personal policy.

100-1/2

Considering that this is happening in the SDF back yard, I can tell you precisely what the local FAA reaction will be. It'll sound an awful like snoring. Not exactly the most motivated bunch in that particular FSDO, and if it's not UPS they don't even care.

The SDF/LOU FSDO is the only one I've had the dubious pleasure of uhm "working closely with", so I can't compare. That said, if it's anything like it was 10 years ago, they are big on coming out once in a blue moon, red tagging everything on the ramp, then disappearing in a puff of sulpher. Not so big on, well, anything else.

100 1/2 there ya go again armchair QB-ing....much like you did in June after the CASW accident. Get ahold of yourself

...then disappearing in a puff of sulpher

Awesome image, sad thread. Also a forecast for ice constitutes known ice. Lots of dirt-bag operators out there tell there guys that you need a pirep for known ice and if no pirep no ice; so go. Not so under the eyes of the judge advocate or common sense.

Sad for the young guy and family.

20-something pilot killed in an E-36.

Looks like multiple legs between MDW/LOU over recent days.

Several small potato outfits and a sub-par broker running a couple of cherokee 6's over the last couple of years have been jockiing for this route.

Looks like an aircraft without de-ice equipment flying through Forecast[Multiple Airmets] and Known Ice [multiple PIREPs] early in the morning.

Some tool was kind enough to post pictures of the wreck on the Flight Aware Registration info within hours of the crash. What an A$$WHOLE!

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N7472N

RIP kid.
100-1/2

Is it really any better providing a link to the picture?

NTSB Identification: DEN08FA114
Accident occurred Tuesday, June 24, 2008 in Linwood, KS
Aircraft: Aero Commander 500S, registration: N411JT
Injuries: 2 Fatal.
This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.
On June 24, 2008, at 1020 central daylight time, an Aero Commander 500S, N411JT, registered to and operated by Central Airlines and doing business as Central Air Southwest, was destroyed when the it impacted terrain following a dual engine loss of power while maneuvering near Linwood, Kansas. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the accident. The training flight was being conducted under the provisions of Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 91 without a flight plan. The two commercial pilots on board the airplane, the company's chief pilot and a pilot-in-training, were fatally injured. The local flight originated at 0927 from Charles B. Wheeler Downtown Airport (MKC), Kansas City, Missouri.

According to surveyors who were parked on a road adjacent to the accident site, they observed the airplane approaching at a low altitude. They said both engines were running, but then the engines began to sputter and "everything went silent." The airplane then nosed down and impacted an open field.

Downloaded GPS (Global Positioning System) data indicates the airplane took off and flew over to Topeka, Kansas, before doing a touch-and-go landing at Lawrence, Kansas. The airplane then proceeded to a practice area where it performed a steep turn to the left, followed by a steep turn to the right. The airplane's altitude was already low and its airspeed decreased considerably before data stopped recording. The airplane impacted the ground in a 53-degree nose down attitude. The landing gear was down and the flaps were at the approach setting.

wlacy-

Thanks for the critique. BTW, "looks like..." is a far cry from judgmental declaration which is oft discharged among these threads and a participation I have refrained. It isn't about being "right" it is about being "safe". The early reports which drew my concern and plea in the June post were then and now echoed above... "low, slow, no Outs behind and no Outs below and a CP "who really gave a lot of guys a [go] at their first flying job..." You still don't get it; two less fathers, husbands and sons, one less aircraft and one more crater in the world. Why? Because a ticket on Great lakes and a seat at flight safety was too, expensive to teach the kind of things the CP was known for pushing?

I fired a MEI decades ago for simulating an engine loss just after lift off by shutting the fuel selector off. More than a year later, that same Joe had a VMC roll-over with a student while executing a Missed Approach or a go-around. I never bothered with the NTSB report or cared to know what a postmortem from the professional mmqb's said. I knew all I needed or wanted to know. Who is right? Who is alive? It's all relative, but I'll take door #2 every day of the week and twice on Sunday. There are times and places for injecting "realism" into a training exercise. Vsse is published and recommended for a reason and we don't bomb around looking for the "worst" ice we can find in a Caravan for "realism". We do that sh!t in the sim where we can control the environment and the outcome and talke about it over a 12pack of longnecks at the candlewood later.

Insider-
My bad. 1,000 Apologies to any others' offense. Your viewpoint is well noted. My alarm and disgust was for the rather ill haste with which someone misappropriated the intentions of Flightaware to cast a more lifelike connection to an aircraft registration rather than the carnage that was implied through a folio of portraits. A subtle intention was, too, relay the appearance of evidence and indications of contributing factors such as the frozen precipitation in the earliest photos and the absence of de-icing equipment installed. However, MegaDitto, to you on the quote?

100-1/2

“There are some people that if they [100 1/2] don't know, you can't tell them [100 1/2].”

---Louis Armstrong

Latest resources

Back