Bombardier working on a G650 competitor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I doubt it will cruise 5000 miles at .90 Just sayin'

I doubt the 650 will either.That's a pretty high bar to jump.

I'll take that bet. Willing to bet the airplane actually exceeds original projected specs by 1-2%. Original numbers were MMO .925 (already done) 5000nm at .90 and 7000+ nm at .85

I'll take that bet. Willing to bet the airplane actually exceeds original projected specs by 1-2%. Original numbers were MMO .925 (already done) 5000nm at .90 and 7000+ nm at .85

I would be willing to take some of that...as much as I like my Falcon products, I feel confident in Gulfstreams ability to deliver. More so than Dassault...:rolleyes:.

For the doubters - do they also believe that either aircraft won't reach 7,000NM at .85? If so, do they expect the drag rise to be so much that they can't make 5,000 NM with an extra .05 mach?

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'm trying to understand the reason for the skepticism.

Sorry, for some reason, I thought that the superGLEX was claiming 5000nm at .90. Only the 650 is (unless Bombardier did it in another article). But the question still stands for the Gulfstream doubters.

Unless Bombardier is planning a clean-sheet design, MMO on their 650 competitor will likely stay where it is. Which is about .88 if I'm not mistaken. By the press accounts I've seen, Bombardier doesn't want to spend a billion plus on a new design but 2-300 million instead on an XRS variant which won't be able to match the 650 on speed. Range perhaps, but not MMO.

Last edited:
For the doubters - do they also believe that either aircraft won't reach 7,000NM at .85? If so, do they expect the drag rise to be so much that they can't make 5,000 NM with an extra .05 mach?
I for one have my doubts that the '650 will be able to do 7,000 nm at .85, and yes, the drag rise between .85 and .9 mach is huge. I mean HUGE.

I doubt the 650 will either.That's a pretty high bar to jump.

Oh yeah? I hear the new Legacy 5.0 will do 9,000 nm at .99M carrying 19 pax. It still won't go above FL410, although LD will still be able to land it well, since it is an RJ (and he has self proclaimed to be unable to land anything else well.....)

:laugh:

Latest resources

Back