Bombardier New Aircraft

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
EngineThunder said:
The rumor is that they are going to take the Lear 45 wings and brakes and stick them on a 60 fuselage. That was the buzz when I was out at ICT picking up an airplane.

How much fuel do the 45 wings hold? 60 wings are 1450 a side plus a 5000 lb rear tank for a total of 7900 lbs.

I see the 45 has a total fuel of 6000 lbs but BAS doesn't give the break down.

If you could get the total fuel up to 9000 or 9500 on the 60 with a wing-change, that would be excellent. A good 3000 nm airplane.

rice said:
Hope and pray that he doesn't go vertical on you and squeeze one off on that pretty G-String of yours:laugh: . So to speak.

G what? Gulfstreams and Hornets carry the same amount of armament in W157A and W158C and the FA-18 is not vertical at 51,000 feet unless he started way down low where 1/2 Rho V Squared is a big number. Then he's ballistic and still can't turn with us.

The fighters don't like the thin air, so on a daily basis we actually share the same airspace. They use W157A up to FL430 and we have W158C overlying from FL430 to FL520. If the test card calls for lower altitudes we'll take the Yankees out near AR1 and they'll take the Xrays so they can work the North and South Tacts ranges (and stay close to shore).

GV

Falcon Capt said:
Hey GVFlyer,

Just curious, during all the testing and certification of the G-V and/or G-550, what was the highest altitude that was attained?

Both the GV/G550 and the G-IV/450 have Fédération Aéronautique Internationale records for class for carrying a 1,000 kilogram payload to an absolute altitude. The GV made it to 55,068 feet (16,784 meters) with a 2200 lb payload, while the G-IV made it to 47,351 feet (14,432 meters). Without the payload the G-IV has been over 50,000 feet. As far as I know, no one has found any requirement to take the GV over 55,000 feet.

GV

ultrarunner said:
How much fuel do the 45 wings hold? 60 wings are 1450 a side plus a 5000 lb rear tank for a total of 7900 lbs.

I see the 45 has a total fuel of 6000 lbs but BAS doesn't give the break down.

If you could get the total fuel up to 9000 or 9500 on the 60 with a wing-change, that would be excellent. A good 3000 nm airplane.

There is 1678# in the wings and 2708 in the fuselage tank for a total of around 6062#

EngineThunder said:
There is 1678# in the wings and 2708 in the fuselage tank for a total of around 6062#

Hmmm....

So, a 60 with that wing would have an additional 456 lbs... an extra 30 mins at the most.

Maybe a touch more as the plane likely would fly higher initially and be more efficient.

At high weights, the 60 burns more above 390 and 410 unless your under 20000 lbs.

If you could operate initially at 410 or 430 initially, maybe you'd get an effective range increase of an hour.

That would let the 60 do the west-coast in the winter. BAS would likely need to increase the GW of the 60 to above 25000 lbs to account for the increase in fuel weight, as well as the increase in wing-structure weight.

23,500 wouldn't cut it and have any payload at all.

GVFlyer said:
Both the GV/G550 and the G-IV/450 have Fédération Aéronautique Internationale records for class for carrying a 1,000 kilogram payload to an absolute altitude. The GV made it to 55,068 feet (16,784 meters) with a 2200 lb payload, while the G-IV made it to 47,351 feet (14,432 meters). Without the payload the G-IV has been over 50,000 feet. As far as I know, no one has found any requirement to take the GV over 55,000 feet.

GV
Is the G-450 still limited to FL450 like the G-IV?

Falcon Capt said:
Is the G-450 still limited to FL450 like the G-IV?

Yes, maximum operating altitude for the G450 is 45,000 feet. For most Gulfstreams maximum altitude is not determined by any mechanical limitations of the jet, but rather the physiological limitations of the passengers.

Determining maximum operating altitude begins with a negotiating session with the FAA. You determine the size of a hole in the pressure vessel whose size will not be exceeded at a frequency greater than 10 to the seventh power. You then simulate that sized leak by rigging the outflow vavle to release the comensurate amount of air. Next, you dive from the desired max operating altitude and you have to reach the thick air before you put anybody to sleep in the back.

GV

You've been watching SPECTRAVISION, again...

rice said:
Hope and pray that he doesn't go vertical on you and squeeze one off on that pretty G-String of yours:laugh: . So to speak.

I know, I know, it's your soap and you can wash it as fast as you want!

HawkerF/O said:
I agree that the 60 is a nice airplane, but, like any aircraft, it has its own issues (brakes, high ref speeds, etc). My experience with Bombardier has been on Challengers and they are lost when it comes to supporting 601s.

601s? Are you Mexican? I hear Saberliner and Jetstar parts are getting hard to come by, too.

Latest resources

Back