• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jurassic Jet

Freight Trash
:eek:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070308/sfth019.html?.v=89

Boeing to Supply Six 767 Freighters to Re-fleet DHL U.S. Operations
Thursday March 8, 8:11 am ET

SEATTLE, March 8 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Boeing (NYSE: BA - News) and DHL agreed on an order for six 767-300ER (Extended Range) Freighters. DHL, wholly owned by Bonn, Germany-based Deutsche Post World Net, is a leading international express delivery and logistics company. The order is valued at $894 million at list prices. This order has previously been accounted for on Boeing's Orders & Deliveries Website.

The Boeing 767 Freighter has excellent fuel efficiency, operational flexibility and low noise levels. The airplane meets and exceeds international Chapter 3 noise requirements.
"Adding the wide-body 767 Freighter to our network allows us to grow our business considerably," said John Mullen, CEO DHL Express. "This acquisition will support the DHL Express strategy with particular emphasis on renewing and updating the network supporting operations that serve the U.S. market." DHL has successfully established a solid number 3 market position in the U.S. and is striving to expand its overall leadership in the global express business.
In its annual World Air Cargo Forecast, Boeing predicts a market demand over the next 20 years of 841 airplanes in the 767-size, medium wide-body category of which 244 will be new production freighters. Since the 767 Freighter's launch in 1993, seven customers have ordered a total of 83 airplanes.

"DHL's high-volume express operations require a freighter that has proven capabilities in terms of utilization and schedule reliability. The 767 Freighter has exactly those attributes," said Marlin Dailey, vice president Sales for Europe, Russia and Central Asia, Boeing Commercial Airplanes. "Boeing's complete line of freighter airplanes allows us to offer our customers the right product to match their needs."

Boeing offers its customers a complete line of production and conversion freighters ranging in size from the standard body of 18 tonnes (Boeing 737-700 Convertible) and under 45 tonnes (757 Freighter) to medium wide-bodies such as the 767 (40-75 tonnes) and large freighters over 75 tonnes such as the Boeing 777 and 747.

Source: Boeing Co.

The press are the ones who are saying it's for DHL US. But, here is what Mullen says in the article: "Adding the wide-body 767 Freighter to our network allows us to grow our business considerably," said John Mullen, CEO DHL Express. "This acquisition will support the DHL Express strategy with particular emphasis on renewing and updating the network supporting operations that serve the U.S. market."

A 300ER would obviously be used on oceanic routes. Note what Mullen says above: "renewing and updating the network supporting operations that serve the U.S. market." I'm not saying that the a/c will be going to DHL UK or EAT. But I wouldn't rule them out, either.

Who will be flying these puppies? ASTAR?????

Quit, I almost fell out my chair laughing. Part of the 4.5 million given to the mighty DAZ will be used bring them up to CATII certification.

Watch out ABX, Astar is coming.:laugh:

No Concessions!!

Alright,

Might as well splash in the kiddie pool here for a minute.....

A. Hvydriver's got it right, in that DHL can punt these to anybody. Maybe they're going to EAT to do JFK-BRU-BAH. Bottom line, know one knows.

B. Have ya even considered that they might be going to the real (as in they own 49% of em) DHL US airline.....Polar?

C. The difference between Astar pilots and ABX guys is, we've been in this rodeo riding The German Bull a lot longer . So we are exceedingly sceptical we'll see those aircraft. And pretty sceptical ABX'll see em. See, we remember at the old-old hub, when DHL finally decided to build the brand new $300mill sort. We remember seeing the mockups of the ramp, with 76's and 75's and all that stuff. And we remember all the ceo's that promised 75's and 76's. So, I don't think you'll see anybody on the AStar side getting moist with anticipation at the 767 press release. It's just another smoke bomb.

D. If ABX was getting em, don't ya think Hete'd have a PR out right now? I know Astar would. Heck, we put out a glowing press release when JD retires a turd to the john.

you are right if common sense played in ABX would be the logical choice with its own maintence,avionics,engineers, tech support, simulators, FAA approval ,training program in place, 3-4 times less expensive ACMI ,etc,etc. Which is the very reason ASTAR will most likely be flying them!

ATI pilots have been talking about rumors of 767s and DHL contracts, too.

In the beginning I thought that DHL was smart enough not to try to bring a third domestic carrier into the mix/mess at ILN, I've seen enough now to know better.

But I don't think the -300ER makes any sense whatever for the domestic routes. Seems like these airplanes would be crossing the ponds.

Article in the Miami Herald yesterday said "Deutsche Post's DHL is looking to expand overseas shipments from the United States," according to DHL exec VP of Ops.

I haven't seen any reason to believe that ABX would fly them (though it obviously would make sense logistically, EAT is flying 757's but I can't think of any other DHL carrier/contractor that's ready to fly the 767 immediately). DHL has a ton of potential and I'm still hopeful they may figure it out in the future, but I have zero expectations from them right now.

"DHL just does not compete with FedEx and UPS when it comes to service and reliability," Daniel Ortwerth, analyst, Edward Jones & Co.

"The U.S. customer just does not tolerate that," Satish Jindel, president, SJ Consulting.

If ABX was getting em, don't ya think Hete'd have a PR out right now?

Like I said above, I have zero expectation that ABX will fly these airplanes. But, if we were, I also wouldn't expect to see a press release from ABX until we'd seen it in writing from other places. ABX never makes an announcement until it's signed, sealed and delivered.

Latest resources

Back