Boeing KC-767 update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
UHHH...lazy pilot math

Yeah Spur, I messed that up. I didn't factor in the purchase cost and should have typed 23 million a YEAR. I'm even less of a math major than you dude.

Mud Eagle, I honestly don't know. According to a previous post by a tanker pilot, the 135 has more lift/range than the 767 as proposed. He also said they are rarely flown that way. According to the civilian press, the Air Force didn't ask for this airframe at all. My point here is I think we should avoid corporate welfare for Boeing unless two conditions are satisfied:

-That AMC has a valid need for the 767, with procurement initiated through proper channels instead of at the beheast of Illinois and Washington Congressmen.

-The current tanker MWS is updated to its most complete potential/longest life. (Pacer CRAG, 7Q7, FSAS, CFM's, etc..)

Last edited:
Chunk said:
The designation's not going actually be KC-767 is it?

Found this Chunk:
http://www.designation-systems.net/usmilav/nonstandard-mds.html#_MDS_KC767
In September 2002, KC-767A was officially approved as the designation for the projected Boeing 767 tanker conversions to be leased by the U.S. Air Force. Instead of using the next number in the C-series and designating the aircraft as KC-42A, the manufacturer's design number was used.

The MDS request from the CDARA (Commercial Derivative Air Refuelling Aircraft) program office to the USAF Nomenclature Office, dated 6 August 2002, says:

The CDARA Team requests approval for the model designation of KC-767A for the subject aircraft. We understand the next available MDS designator for this type of aircraft is KC-42A. However, Air Mobility Command, the using command, has requested an out of sequence designator of KC-767A for this aircraft.
[...]

As usual (nowadays), the Nomenclature Office stated their objection when forwarding the request to HQ USAF, and included the paragraph:

According to AFJI 16-401, KC-767A is a nonstandard designator. This aircraft should be assigned the MDS of KC-42A.

Also as usual, HQ USAF ignored the objection, and confirmed the KC-767A designation on 18 September 2002 with the words:

As approving authority for Mission Design Series (MDS) designators, we approve MDS designator KC-767A [...]

I also found something about a KC-747, but that's unrelated.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back