Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Blown tire after 80 before V1 on short runway!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That is extremely poor advice. The Anti-Skid computer will know that something is not right with the affected wheel and will compensate according. For example, once you realized the tire was blown and you have say, 8000 feet left, would you reach up and turn the Anti-Skid off? Or under normal ops, if the LH side of the runway was wet, but the RH was dry, would you turn the Anti-Skid off?

When you blow the good tire and bend some metal, the 1st thing anyone is going to ask is, 'Tell us again why you turned off the Anti-Skid?"

DO NOT TURN THE ANTI-SKID OFF!

I am still open for debate in this, as my post said these were my initial thought's and they were Beechjet specific with the anti -skid.

First of all though, I did not say turn it off on the runway. I never ever advise changing configurations on the runway.

Second, If that wheel should lock up, when you touch down you would have no brakes what so ever with the anti skid on and thus may have no assistance in directional control. Not to mention that the rest of my statement was to find a long runway. So there would be no reason to brake so hard as to blow tires as you stated. Under normal stopping conditions we do not use heavy braking.

When we practice it in the sim, they always blow it at 80 on a long runway, so stopping is not that hard. I am sure that when it happens in the airplane, as falcon pilot stated, you may not have much choice. I also thought his issues of airframe / flap damage raised other concerns about going.

Last edited:
It's very simple. Do exactly as you briefed. If you lost directional control prior to V1 then abort. Rolling down a runway at 80 knots or more doesn't give you much time or runway left to start thinking and then reacting. Stick to the way you trained and stop modifying things. Remember this.... KISS.

WRT to turning off the anti-skid, what does the AFM say? Unless you are a test pilot working for the manufacturer you are putting your hull at risk .... damage that airplane the 1st question the NTSB and the insurance adjuster is going to ask is ... why did you do that?

You will then get careless and reckless violation and your insurance will be voided. Know you AFM and follow it, plan and simple.

All four blown on Takeoff roll

Leaving out of AMA... V1 was 117, just after 100 kts right outside main blew, sounded like a blown tire, A/C slid slightly, then within seconds (2-3 seconds) the right inboard blew. The whole brake assembly hit hard on the runway and shattered( of course we didn't know all this at the time) directional control was lost but regained... as A/C was slowing to approx: 50 kts both Left mains blew, instantly went off the runway.. luckily we slid into the grass with no further damage. What we learned was simple... every situation is a judgement. We were on a 13,000 ft runway , our takeoff (balanced field length, go/stop length) was approx: 4,300. Procedure is above 80kts loss directional control stop the A/C.. Had we been on a 5,000 or even 6,000 ft runway we may have elected to continue.. reasons: It took us 10,600 ft to stop ( not including the stretch of grass we went into.) When you lose your tires that violently, you lose anti-skid ( if you lose anti-skid on both mains ( right side for example) the system automatically shuts down the left side , so you have no anti-skid, not to mention you have no tire on which to stop on, in our case we lost all braking power on the right side no brakes, no stop. T/R's can only help so much... and when the left tires blew we were only along for the ride. All the factors have to be weighed , of course you have about 1 -2 seconds to figure all that out.

Leaving out of AMA... V1 was 117, just after 100 kts right outside main blew, sounded like a blown tire, A/C slid slightly, then within seconds (2-3 seconds) the right inboard blew. The whole brake assembly hit hard on the runway and shattered( of course we didn't know all this at the time) directional control was lost but regained... as A/C was slowing to approx: 50 kts both Left mains blew, instantly went off the runway.. luckily we slid into the grass with no further damage. What we learned was simple... every situation is a judgement. We were on a 13,000 ft runway , our takeoff (balanced field length, go/stop length) was approx: 4,300. Procedure is above 80kts loss directional control stop the A/C.. Had we been on a 5,000 or even 6,000 ft runway we may have elected to continue.. reasons: It took us 10,600 ft to stop ( not including the stretch of grass we went into.) When you lose your tires that violently, you lose anti-skid ( if you lose anti-skid on both mains ( right side for example) the system automatically shuts down the left side , so you have no anti-skid, not to mention you have no tire on which to stop on, in our case we lost all braking power on the right side no brakes, no stop. T/R's can only help so much... and when the left tires blew we were only along for the ride. All the factors have to be weighed , of course you have about 1 -2 seconds to figure all that out.

WOW, what kind of A/C was that?

Falcon, good post. I can back you up.
I have had two blown tires. One on landing and one just taxiing to the runway ( in Dulles). They were both in airplanes with single wheel gear. A Jetstream in Greenville, Mississippi and an Excel in Dulles.
I will re-iterate what Falcon said.......YOU WILL NOT HAVE DIRECTIONAL CONTROL-----DO NOT CONTINUE!!

When I flew the Jetstream into Greenville, I just landed (didnt get on the brakes) and the aircraft "went for the grass" Luckily I was able to stop it and direct the brake a little to keep the turn less severe. We stopped on the runway and I went out to look. we made our own "grooved" runway. We asked if the passengers wanted to wait with us for the tug or have ops bring a truck out for them. We only had about 9 or 10 people. They elected for the truck. It was funny as he!! watching them load up into the back bed of a pickup and go to the terminal.

The second time it happend about last Spring. I was taxiing to runway 30? from Signature and like they always do, they sent us down through the airline ramp on I think A or C. They were doing alot of construction around there so I bet we picked up a nail or something I was taxiing probably about 10 to 20 kts and it started veering slightly right. I commented to my FO that I must have a brake starting to hang up. I slowed a little and then WHAM! it went right just like that and the airplane about stopped in its tracks. This happend at slow speed. Just think like Falcon said if it happens at high speed. ABORT!!! I got out, (after KIAD operations and security came to the scene) to take a look (as the fire trucks came). I could see a black trail where I assume it started going low and then a big black explosion spot about 10 or 15 feet behind the aircraft.

We had signature come to get it on a dolly. That didnt work so a mechanic came out and used a spare tire he had for NetJets and put it on ours just for the tow back. We were probably out there for an Hour and a half.
In conclusion, my point is on single wheel, you wont have directional control. On dual, you might but as Falcon said, it made the other one blow as well. Just be safe and abort.

Like one said: It is better to be at the hearing in a wheelchair than 6 feet under.

Yall be carefull out there ya hear.

Thanks again to all who posted! Informative threads like this keep me coming back. Now if we could just get rid of all the BS!

Thanks again to all who posted! Informative threads like this keep me coming back. Now if we could just get rid of all the BS!

BE400 and to all the others who are tired of the BS ...

There is another site out there that is run by professional pilots as opposed to webmasters selling advertizing. I cannot mention it by name because in this world I might get banned.

I suggest you check it out.

Last edited:
Another vote for stop. I've been through 3 flats, none were catastrophic tire failures, but they all resulted in an a/c that was:

A. Very difficult to control directionally
B. Vibrating so badly I was afraid of the airplane being damaged.

Granted, two of these were on landing and one while taxiing, but I can honestly say that in all three cases it was immediately apparant to me that I would NOT have continued a takeoff with that kind of problem. In other words, we can talk about it a lot, but I bet in most cases, if it happened to you, you wouldn't even hesitate to abort. The noise, vibration, and loss of directional control would convince you quickly of what to do!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back