Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Blown tire after 80 before V1 on short runway!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I Have Had This Happen!!!!!! Falcon 20-5 At Afw. (alliance Fort Worth). You Do Not. I Repeat Do Not Want To Continue This Take Off At All Cost... If You Cant Stop The Airplane On A Short Runway, Then Maybe That Would Be The Only Detering Factor.. We Blew The Inside Right Main First, Which Then Caused The Outside Main To Blow For Some Reason. The Vibration Was So Intense That You Could Not Read The Instument Panel.. Plates Were Falling Out Of The Galley, Pax Were Freaked Out... Etc... We Used All 11000 Feet Of Runway Stopping It... No Tr's. The Airplane Was Full Of Fuel At The Time. There Was Flap And Gear Damage.. We Stopped And Pulled Off The Runway, And I Asked If I Could Get Out Of The Plane And Assess The Damage.. I Got Out And Walked Around To The Right Side Of The Aircraft, And Came To The Conclusion That Taxiing Any Further Was Not A Great Idea. We Shut The Plane Down Called The Fire Trucks, Due To The Fact That The Brakes Were So Hot That They Were Popping And Looked As If They Were Melting. (pieces Of The Brake Were Falling On The Ground.) Terry Bradshaw Was Our Passenger. He Got Out And Leaned Against The Left Wing Near The Door. I Told Him We Should Get Away From The Gear Just Incase One The Brakes Decided To Come Apart. About A Second Later The Heat From The Braked Caused The Fuse Plugs To Blow On The Left Gear Tires. It Scared The Pi$$ Out Of Both Me And Terry Bradshaw. That Was The First Time I Heard One Blow. Long Story Short. It Was A Big Ordeal. My Recomendation Is To If You Are Before V1, Abort At All Cost.

Thanks for the posts! I used to fly the beechjet. I am currently flying the Ultra soon to be Excel. The Excel is a 20,000 lb aircraft with a single main wheel. I recently had an interesting conversation with another company pilot about continuing or rejecting in this situation.
I thought it would be better to continue and he said he would reject. Considering we fly together as a crew, I think we should agree on this subject. I guess it all comes down to how much directional control is affected and how well the aircraft accelerates after the tire is gone. The problem is you are a test pilot when this happens! Just one of those things you will have to instinctively react to as a pilot.

I Have Had This Happen!!!!!! Falcon 20-5 At Afw. (alliance Fort Worth). You Do Not. I Repeat Do Not Want To Continue This Take Off At All Cost... If You Cant Stop The Airplane On A Short Runway, Then Maybe That Would Be The Only Detering Factor.. We Blew The Inside Right Main First, Which Then Caused The Outside Main To Blow For Some Reason. The Vibration Was So Intense That You Could Not Read The Instument Panel.. Plates Were Falling Out Of The Galley, Pax Were Freaked Out... Etc... We Used All 11000 Feet Of Runway Stopping It... No Tr's. The Airplane Was Full Of Fuel At The Time. There Was Flap And Gear Damage.. We Stopped And Pulled Off The Runway, And I Asked If I Could Get Out Of The Plane And Assess The Damage.. I Got Out And Walked Around To The Right Side Of The Aircraft, And Came To The Conclusion That Taxiing Any Further Was Not A Great Idea. We Shut The Plane Down Called The Fire Trucks, Due To The Fact That The Brakes Were So Hot That They Were Popping And Looked As If They Were Melting. (pieces Of The Brake Were Falling On The Ground.) Terry Bradshaw Was Our Passenger. He Got Out And Leaned Against The Left Wing Near The Door. I Told Him We Should Get Away From The Gear Just Incase One The Brakes Decided To Come Apart. About A Second Later The Heat From The Braked Caused The Fuse Plugs To Blow On The Left Gear Tires. It Scared The Pi$$ Out Of Both Me And Terry Bradshaw. That Was The First Time I Heard One Blow. Long Story Short. It Was A Big Ordeal. My Recomendation Is To If You Are Before V1, Abort At All Cost.
WOW...
How fast when the tires blew?

Do you have time to register a blown tire after 80kts? That is why I go with the standard brief.

"after V1 we will abort for engine, fire, failure, inadvertant T/R deployment or loss of directional control." Quite frankly I think a tire blowing would fall under loss of directional control. But, WTF do I know about a beechjet.

If I loose directional control prior to V1 it is an abort ... it sounds better at the hearing.

if I remember correctly... Id say around 100 to 105.. It was a Falcon 20C model and we were full of fuel... I cant remember what the V1 was but were probably withing 10 to 15 knots of it.. The most interesting part of the whole thing was when the airplane was put into maintenance to get it checked out.. Falcon sent engineers from France to do test on the airframe... There are certain points around the airframe that they would hang plumb bobs from to determine if the fuselage twisted or was out of shape... As I recall the vibration caused lost of internal damage... You may can research it somewhere.. It was serial number 24 falcon 20.

Do you have time to register a blown tire after 80kts? That is why I go with the standard brief.

"after V1 we will abort for engine, fire, failure, inadvertant T/R deployment or loss of directional control." Quite frankly I think a tire blowing would fall under loss of directional control. But, WTF do I know about a beechjet.

If I loose directional control prior to V1 it is an abort ... it sounds better at the hearing.

You would abort after V1? or was that a typo.

Hi!

A little off topic...

I landed once with a blown right main tire (2 tires on each strut), and we didn't even know it until I did the post flight! We still don't know if it came apart on TO or landing (or taxiing???).

cliff
MCI

PS-If u knew you had a tire/gear problem, I would DEFINITELY leave the gear down and locked (unless range were a factor to get to a suitable runway).

Latest resources

Back