Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Blown tire after 80 before V1 on short runway!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A couple of posts had said they would perfer the abort rather than Takeoff if it were on a short runway. This doesn't make sense to me. Assuming that the big 5 haven't been met(engine failure, fire, loss of directional control, TR deployment, or collision avoidance), I usually brief that I'm going to continue the TO. ON a longer runway, I may brief "we'll abort for anything up to V1". Where as on the shorter runways its "anything up to 80, the big 5 after that and up to V1". The example that FalconPilot gave had him use up nearly all the runway at Alliance. I'm sure if he had good tires and good brakes an RTO just before V1 wouldn't come close to using up 11,000 feet of runway or whatever it might be there. I don't know the Falcon 50 but that's just my guess. If he were on a 5K or 6K foot runway who knows. IMO, take it up, figure it out, and have a game plan. At least in the worst case you'll still have emergency crews ready and waiting to assist in what ever might occur.

Pop!

Interesting thought about the a-skid. If you're on the rim, you won't get much braking, locked wheel or not, right? How about the other, good wheel? Wouldn't you want the best braking and protection possible? You sure wouldn't want that one to blow, also.
I admit I don't know anything about your airplane, however.

If I recall correctly most a/c anti skid system works in a similar matter, using a voltage generator in each main hub and sends the information to an anti skid control box which then compares the voltage produced by each spin up and controls the amount of pressure to be released on the appropriate set until the desired voltage matches. The fact that the tire will be desintegrated will definitely have an effect on breaking distance on single wheels.

I personally have not experienced one on takeoff but if it affects directional control before V1 then I would reject the take off. If it does not, then I would press on and continue to a suitable airport with enough length and equipment to accomodate the emergency, preferrably leaving the gear extended as long as it still meets any needed climb gradient.

But thats just my humble opinion.

Last edited:
Let me clarify one thing from my previous post...

We used up all the runway because we choose to... And what I mean by that is we knew we had plenty of runway.. So in order to not do any further damage. IE Honkin on the brakes and blowing all the tires and destroying all four wheels and damaging both flaps from the tire debris... We were delicate with the brakes... But even after being delicate with them they still were extremely hot. And like I said earlier the fuse plugs blew on the good tires anyhow. But atleast it was after we stopped..

be sure and turn the anti-skid off.
That is extremely poor advice. The Anti-Skid computer will know that something is not right with the affected wheel and will compensate accordingy. For example, once you realized the tire was blown and you have say, 8000 feet left, would you reach up and turn the Anti-Skid off? Or under normal ops, if the LH side of the runway was wet, but the RH was dry, would you turn the Anti-Skid off?

When you blow the good tire and bend some metal, the 1st thing anyone is going to ask is, 'Tell us again why you turned off the Anti-Skid?"

DO NOT TURN THE ANTI-SKID OFF!

Last edited:
In regards to a rejected takeoff, I believe that though the anti-skid may increase stopping distance with a blown (single) tire, some manufacturers do not automatically factor the use of spoilers, T/Rs, runway gradient, and headwinds into the numbers which affords a decent margin of cushion to the ability to stop the airplane. Lockheed provides additional charts to factor the above into adjusted numbers.

Last edited:
First of all, I'd like to stress the fact that I'm not second guessing or sniping at any post here. I appreciate hearing from professionals and experts in this field. I'm tryin' to learn here and I appreciate all input!
That said, I believe that taking it in the air at a speed close to V1 is USUALLY the best course. Airplanes are fractious beasts on the ground, especially at high speeds. They're built to fly and handle better in the air than at V1 speeds on a 100-150 foot runway.
PERHAPS the severe vibration from the Falcon would have diminished after rotation as the wheels spun down. PERHAPS they could have cruised around with gear down to lower the weight. PERHAPS they could have touched down on the numbers and had 11,000 feet to stop. I wasn't there, I WON"T arm-chair quarterback. Nobody got hurt, you DID GREAT!
But, in general, absent a lack of control, I believe the "go decision" close to V1 is better.
I have a lot of hours sitting on my ass in transport cat airplanes, but as you know, that is mostly JUST sitting on my ASS!
I really appreciate the hearing from you guys/girls.

Last edited:
Humor a prop driver for a bit and answer me this:

In a single tire setup could the aircraft continue to accelerate with a blown tire?

Putting aside the obvious differences between props and jets for a moment and considering their similarities, I blew a tire in a Baron just after landing and two things struck me: 1) how complete was my loss of directional control and 2) how rapidly the airplane decelerated once the tire blew. I stayed on the runway despite #1 in large part due to #2. It's possible that the airplane would have been more controllable had I been at full power rather than at idle, but I cannot be certain and hope never to find out.

In considering the situation at hand I am not certain that on takeoff, even if being at full power aided me in controlling the airplane, the Baron would continue to accelerate once a tire had blown. If not an abort would not be my choice so much as it would be thrust upon me. Not a good scenario given the accident record as it relates to high speed aborts. With respect to that a real consideration is the reserve performance of a jet compared to the Baron. In general would it be enough to accelerate the airplane to Vr?

Given the chance I would absolutely prefer to take the airplane into the air and prepare to respond to any control problems experienced on landing than react to them on the takeoff roll. If the airplanes behavior gave me too much concern about my ability to control it on landing I would consider landing with the gear up.

Depending on the will of the Bid Sheet gods I will be in a Lear quite soon so I am anxious to hear the thoughts of experienced jet guys...

I Have Had This Happen!!!!!! Falcon 20-5 At Afw. (alliance Fort Worth). You Do Not. I Repeat Do Not Want To Continue This Take Off At All Cost... If You Cant Stop The Airplane On A Short Runway, Then Maybe That Would Be The Only Detering Factor.. We Blew The Inside Right Main First, Which Then Caused The Outside Main To Blow For Some Reason. The Vibration Was So Intense That You Could Not Read The Instument Panel.. Plates Were Falling Out Of The Galley, Pax Were Freaked Out... Etc... We Used All 11000 Feet Of Runway Stopping It... No Tr's. The Airplane Was Full Of Fuel At The Time. There Was Flap And Gear Damage.. We Stopped And Pulled Off The Runway, And I Asked If I Could Get Out Of The Plane And Assess The Damage.. I Got Out And Walked Around To The Right Side Of The Aircraft, And Came To The Conclusion That Taxiing Any Further Was Not A Great Idea. We Shut The Plane Down Called The Fire Trucks, Due To The Fact That The Brakes Were So Hot That They Were Popping And Looked As If They Were Melting. (pieces Of The Brake Were Falling On The Ground.) Terry Bradshaw Was Our Passenger. He Got Out And Leaned Against The Left Wing Near The Door. I Told Him We Should Get Away From The Gear Just Incase One The Brakes Decided To Come Apart. About A Second Later The Heat From The Braked Caused The Fuse Plugs To Blow On The Left Gear Tires. It Scared The Pi$$ Out Of Both Me And Terry Bradshaw. That Was The First Time I Heard One Blow. Long Story Short. It Was A Big Ordeal. My Recomendation Is To If You Are Before V1, Abort At All Cost.

I had exactly the same thing happen in Guam in a Lear 36. The nose was already airborne when both right side tires blew. The nose instantly slammed back down on the ground and it was quite a ride until we finally go it stopped. Thank God, Guam has long runways. I don't add anymore to the story because it was exactly like the story above.

I am not going to say anyone should stop/go, it just depends on the conditions and the decision you make at the time. But, I can assure there will always be someone telling you what you should have done, usually while they sitting home in their lounge chair.

AK

I saw a cj blow a main gear tire on take off. He had no choice but to abort because he was losing directional control. The pilot did the right and only thing he could do in this particular situation.

We're trained in the sim to abort blown tires after 80kts. They almost always give us that senario during recurrent. Even with two tires on each side we still lose the centerline when it happens (even with a blown nose wheel). Getting on the brakes and keeping it on the runway has always been possible. Although keep in mind this is in the sim - I have not had to experience a blown tire for real yet!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back