Bloomberg on AF447

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
we need to teach "pitch+power+configuration=performance"

As a professional pilot you should be able to fly your aircraft without airspeed. This was taught to me in basic training.

It was at night, over water, heavy T-storms, probably getting the sh!t beat out of them. I read somewhere that the flight plan was at max range. This explains why they did not take the route a LH 747-400 that departed some 30 minutes before they did. That flight plan was west and north to stay clear of the weather. Just a lot of bad choices before they left the gate.

It was at night, over water, heavy T-storms, probably getting the sh!t beat out of them. I read somewhere that the flight plan was at max range. This explains why they did not take the route a LH 747-400 that departed some 30 minutes before they did. That flight plan was west and north to stay clear of the weather. Just a lot of bad choices before they left the gate.

I agree, but at some point you still have to fly your aircraft when the $hit hits the fan. We are starting to see a pattern in these accidents of lack of basic stick and rudder skills.

we need to teach "pitch+power+configuration=performance"

As a professional pilot you should be able to fly your aircraft without airspeed. This was taught to me in basic training.

absolutely 100% agree.

The report says nothing about entering a thunderstorm. After the loss of airspeed indication, they did not maintain proper pitch and power setting, and the aircraft stalled. They applied 'pitch up' control in response to the stall and maintained 'pitch up' control throughout most of the descent.

I dunno know, but to maintain proper pitch and power setting during severe turbulence is pretty difficult!!! Even worse proper pitch and power during severe turbulence could be wrong as well, a stalled airplane could have the right pitch attitude and power and still be stalled, without angle of attack indicator and proper speed indication it would be hard to surmise.

Hindsight is easy, but it took 3 minutes for this aircraft to crash.

To say they didn't fly into the TS! Everybody knows that severe turbulence can also be encountered away from the TS.

Just recently had upset recovery training on the 74 as part of initial qual. With 15 degrees of nose down and full power, just pulling a bit too much would induce a stall at high altitude, how's that for proper pitch and power, try that at night with no valid airspeed indication!!!

Last edited:
Just recently had upset recovery training on the 74 as part of initial qual. With 15 degrees of nose down and full power, just pulling a bit too much would induce a stall at high altitude, how's that for proper pitch and power, try that at night with no valid airspeed indication!!!

You just proved you know the proper way to recover from a high altitude stall and the pitch and power needed for your aircraft. So now that you had this training, if you stall you will not stay pitched up? You are making our point even clearer.

Airbus pilots-will a blocked pitot tube result in the airspeed tapes disappearing or Xed out, or would the tapes act like the airspeed indicator would on a C-172 with a blocked pitot tube, i.e. like an altimeter? Maybe the pilots were trying to get their airspeed "under control" by pitching back.

Latest resources

Back