• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Bloomberg: AMR 737's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Anything less than 200 aircraft is pointless. In fact, anything less than the current number of 80's won't help. They need all the mainline they can get.

Eagle is limping badly in terms of feed to AA due to not being able to attract pilots, scope restrictions, etc. I believe management is figuring out that EA isn't the "golden goose" they once thought.

I believe Boeing would do what is necessary to keep AA as a customer. Besides, this is a long-term solution. The 80 fleet isn't exactly falling apart. (Well, no more than usual. ;) )

Delta can keep their "massive" order for 737's... TC

Last edited:
I do not believe there are any delivery slots available for the 737 until 2009. Boeing would not even increase production for SWA. I would imagine if Airbus knows AMR is looking for a replacement for the -80s they will give them any of the 320 family for free. If they gave them to JetBlue, they might actually pay AMR to fly them. Heck they might even throw in some simulators.

From today's Dallas Morning News:

In other matters, executives also said American is still mulling how to replace its aging fleet of more than 300 McDonnell Douglas MD-80 jets. But American's contract with the Boeing Co. provides that American can get delivery 15 to 18 months after placing an order, Mr. Horton said.

AA767AV8TOR

Buy AirTran, that gives AMR 100 737's and a bunch of 717's (same type rating as the DC-9-80) and a bunch of gates in ATL. The 717's are new and can serve the short haul market while the 737 helps with the longer stages, longer than the MD-80 served. This would take care of 200 of the 300 airplane problem and add the 15-18 month cut in the production line. Kick this one around. Stranger things have happened.

P.S. Mgmt doesn't care what pilots think or about how this will impact their careers.

They already had 717's and got rid of them.

Buy AirTran, that gives AMR 100 737's and a bunch of 717's (same type rating as the DC-9-80) and a bunch of gates in ATL. The 717's are new and can serve the short haul market while the 737 helps with the longer stages, longer than the MD-80 served. This would take care of 200 of the 300 airplane problem and add the 15-18 month cut in the production line. Kick this one around. Stranger things have happened.

P.S. Mgmt doesn't care what pilots think or about how this will impact their careers.

Yeah, AA can LBO Airtran, staple the Airtran guys to the bottom and, when they get rid of the Super 80's and 717s, furlough the booger out of the Airtran dudes. Then, when the recession hits, leave Atlanta.

Wait...they already did something like that. Since it worked once, why not try it again?

Last edited:
Yeah, AA can LBO Airtran, staple the Airtran guys to the bottom and, when they get rid of the Super 80's and 717s, furlough the booger out of the Airtran dudes. Then, when the recession hits, leave Atlanta.

Wait...they already did something like that. Since it worked once, why not try it again?

Yeah, and in the process, rape the travelling public on ticket prices in ATL. If something works, run with it... :D TC

don't make me take the german weinerschnietzel up the ole keister again!! one fair and equitable merger with AA was enough. I still have a hard time sitting down without my doughnut....

Yeah! D@MN YOU CARTY!!! :mad:

Well and a big D@MN YOU right back. I am continually astounded by the AArogance displayed by pilots. You do NOT have the big picture.

I'll let you in on a little secret... the microbe infestation of the MD-80 fuel tanks: We commanded our loyal maintenance branch to cease adding the anti-microbials, and to discontinue the water-sep procedure, in order to save money. This would make our stock rise, and create huge bonuses for the people who are REALLY needed - management - at AA. Our secondary hope was that Boeing would fix them for free, but unfortunately they discovered that we did not follow standard procedure, and now we're stuck with infested MD-80'd we can't get rid of.

Ahhh, that's all in the past for me now. I wish I was back at AA, ready to recieve a huge PUP bonus in April. Kudos to Arpey for blazing a trail of sacrifice - of labor! Hahahaha!

Good one, Don. Hey, I heard you were angling for a spot on the Skybus BOD just to hedge your bets in case VA's app gets shot down again and they tell you to hit the bricks. Something about too much foreign influence...

Good luck! ;) TC

Latest resources

Back