• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Blocked!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Spot on chap. Sometimes if I get the urge to yell "blocked", i will tune in 123.45 and relive this urge on some poor weekend warrior trying to find his bud.
I always get my relief by yelling on 121.50 "YOURE ON GAURD"

I hear the same thing from the guys at the Majors also but 2 hints for everyone:
1) If you do not have PDC and ATC reads your clearance all you have to is read back the changes from what is filed and if it is as filed then you can respond " Copy All 5302"
2) If you are above FL180 ( This is to everyone) and the controller calls traffic why do you tell him you are looking or see the traffic when the CONTROLLER is responsible to keep you separated?

Bailey

where the storms are on his "fish finder" (doesn't actually know what that means but boy it sure sounded cool when that mainline guy said it)

That's awesome...and true...LMAO

I have to agree. I'm a Mesa CA and I see this all the time and it drives me crazy. I do my part but I still hear it from my company and all the others all the time. -Bean

Last edited:
I have always wanted to do this when I missed a call (happened only once)

"Sorry, I was on a land line"

I did it once to Atlanta center... it was not well received.

2) If you are above FL180 ( This is to everyone) and the controller calls traffic why do you tell him you are looking or see the traffic when the CONTROLLER is responsible to keep you separated?

Bailey

You're still responsible for collision avoidance.

Last edited:
You're still responsible for collision avoidance.

In the grand scheme of things you are always responsible for collision avoidance (you aren't going to watch an airplane run into you, right), but in the technical sense there really is no reason for a controller to point out traffic other than they are bored or don't want you asking for another altitude. Once above 18,000' the controller is responsible for separation just as if you were in IMC. It's beside the point that you can see another airplane, because you can't legally accept a clearance to visually avoid it.

There's a similar situation when accepting a visual approach. Sometimes it's possible to see an airport a very long way out and there is no one in front of you. You can call the field in sight if you'd like but don't expect to get the clearance until you are within 30 nm of the airport, because the controller can't give you a visual approach outside of 30 miles.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back