Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Black leaders unhappy about Delta Air Lines’ diversity.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
But that still doesn't warrant punishing the masses.

I don't have the numbers in front of me but I would guess 90% of (major,regional,fractional and corporate) applicants and positions are filled by white males and GOOD FOR THEM but explain how the masses are being punished. A lot of these programs were instituted because qualified minorities were not given a fair chance in the first place. It's not even a debate that these programs have helped white females more than anyone anyway.

I agree that in our profession the best qualified, and most proficient applicant should get the job. Those of you who have your noses so high in the air at someone other than a white male can rest easy knowing that no airline HR department would hire solely based on race. Those of you who think african-americans or any other race, or women are getting hired mainly because of race or gender...where is your proof? Why don't you concentrate on keeping the wings level and not who is coming in the HR door! I'm mainly directing these comments to ignorant, bigots like this:

All one has to do is look at United's hiring practice in the late 90's early 2000's - experienced white males need not apply

You can have spirited debate about Affirmative action if you want and that's fine. But I would assume none of you guys INCLUDING MYSELF have not had to experience something like that.

Punish the guilty.....

Don't collectively punish every white man for the crimes of a few.

I thought she was very consciensious (sp?) until she tried to say the word "ask". She kept saying "aks"... " If you need anything please feel free to 'aks' any of us and we will be happy to help you." Then, it kept coming, she liked to talk and kept "aksing" and so on. It was kind of funny and people around me were starting to laugh a little every time she said it. I don't think she even knew it.

It might be tough to find, but rent the movie "In the Company of Men", starring Aaron Eckhart. The movie sucks, except for one scene where Eckhart (the highly successful, arrogant executive type) is dressing down a young African American intern. The intern proceeds to use the phrase "just aks anyone", and Eckart leans into him and replies with, "Hey... professional tip....the word is ASK". I could watch that scene a million times and still roll over laughing.

Think about it this way -

I bet it would be interesting to find out what percentage of whites vs. African Americans are in the NBA? Probably many more African Americans than whites. Whites are probably a small percentage. Why is that? I would imagine it has nothing to do with skin color (like it should). It comes down to skill level. But wait a minute... do whites represented by an organization go and complain to the NBA that they are unfairly discriminated against because there aren't a larger more representative population of whites in the NBA? I don't think so.

And what is with the term 'African American'? Shouldn't I then be called European American? I thought we are all "americans"?

Coming from a culture of entitlement that glorifies violent antisocial behavior and rejects striving does not adequately prepare many young men for the rigors of airline life.

While Jumpseating, had an UAL F/O give me his unsolicited oral resume - he was a C-141 AC in the reserves and had 4,000+ hours BEFORE he got hired. It's truly sad that ANYONE should feel compelled justify their merited place in the cockpit - especially to those who don't make the hiring decisions.

Latest resources

Back