• Yes

Votes: 105 74.5%
  • No

Votes: 33 23.4%
  • No, but I'm going to join now.

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters
AOPA

Best $39.00 I spend every year. They do more to help GA than any other organization, and are the largest so they have the loudest voice where it counts.

---also think NAFI is worth the bucks myself, as they help a bit too (through EAA) and I'd pay about 1/2 the membership amount for Flying Mag anyway...

I have been an AOPA member since 2000, however I have to agree with AvBug to a certain extent.

I think the vast of mail I received before joining could have paid for the membership.

It also seems that AOPA ruins everything it touches (Flight Training magazine, BeAPilot commercials).

Ok, so AOPA has stumbled here and there but all GA pilots must admit that since 9/11/01 AOPA has been the only thing keeping politicians from removing all GA aircraft from the skies (ok, slight exageration:) ). But we all must admit that it is a **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** good thing to have an organization dedicated to the furthering of GA working for you and getting issues taken care of in DC. Hey, if it weren't for AOPA we may still be avoiding Nuclear plants by 10nm and 3000' (and let me tell you, when your airport is right on the fringe of that 10nm ring, it makes it tough on flight training). Overall, AOPA has been incredibly good to me and GA IMHO.

oh yeah, and since I have an AOPA credit card (5% off at FBO's) i only pay $37 a year.

I'm not sure why all the CENSORED appeared in my above post...I'm pretty sure I didn't swear. Oh well.

but you were thinking it.

AOPA

Lemme clue you in on two important AOPA benies:

1. The medical counselors. As an AOPA member you can obtain confidential advice about concerns or problems with your medical. About a year and a half ago I decided to get back my First after not having a medical for eight years. I had some concerns and the counselor addressed each one. It gave me great peace of mind.

2. The legal counselors. From time to time people write posts about FAA scrapes in which they find themselves. Invariably, the advice given is to seek legal counseling. AOPA provides such counseling, again, confidentially. It's hard to give precise legal advice over the phone and it is inadvisable to try, but the AOPA counselors know when to quit and when to refer you to an aviation attorney.

Notwithstanding the voice AOPA provides for general aviation, I feel these two benefits are reason enough to join AOPA.

Last edited:
posted by avbug

I quit AOPA after being a long-time member.

I let my membership expire as well...

Perhaps it was the insurance programs offered to pilots...that don't cover pilots when flying an airplane. Or the constant expensive glitzy ads trying to gain membership, or repeatedly sent to members in error...which could have been spent on better uses.

I agree completely, especially when they (AOPA) continue to send mailings and ads almost weekly to "attempt" to get me to rejoin- I don't think these marketing techniques are in the best interest of GA and that money should be spent elsewhere....

3 5 0

wishful thinking is one thing but "reality" is an another...

I checked into AOPA's car insurance. I figured mabye they wouldn't be so harsh when I put PILOT as my current occupation. They quoted me 3x times more than what I currently pay. When I called to ask why, they told me that it was because I was a pilot. They said I was at high risk for a moving violation. All this from a company that gives a special offer to pilots. I laughed at them and hung up.

--03M

Ditto bobbysamd

I don't agree with everything they do and say, but like bobbysamd posted, they have some great resources, AND they are strong represenatives for aviation! - which we need!

AOPA is worth every penny!

Been a member since 1996 and i don't think there is another organization out their that protects and fights for GA as AOPA does.

Their legal services plan is also well worth the money. If you get in a jam, you call and talk to a lawyer for 30 minutes FREE, then, if by chance you go to trial, ALL of your representation is FREE unless you decide to appeal the decision. Well worth it!

flyhi

Latest resources

Back