Votes: 105 74.5%
  • No

Votes: 33 23.4%
  • No, but I'm going to join now.

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters

JeffSKDTW

Patent Pending
This is a challenge to everyone here. Period.

As many of you know, the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) works diligently to promote general aviation and, more recently, to combat the onslaught of political knee-jerk reactions that are becoming so prevalent in today's hypersensitive climate.

Many here have personally experienced the difficulties associated with new flight restrictions over New York, Chicago, Presidential retreats locations, and even Disney World. Although some of these restrictions have good intent, they are often over-reaching and/or ineffective. That is when AOPA steps in. Not only does AOPA battle companies like TIME magazine which recently ran ads showing a Cessna parked with a Nuclear Powerplant in the background suggesting what a terrorist could do to a powerplant with a small plane, but they continuously work to stave off politicians that run amuck--Daley-cide.

However, now more than ever, they are required to fight battles on many fronts, such as against Chicago's Mayor Daley, New Jersey's Congressman Steven Rothman's (D-N.J.) proposal to ban GA aircraft within 15 miles of NYC, or Michigan's current law requiring criminal background check of all flight students.

There is an easy way to help promote AOPA, which won't cost you anything and may actually save you the cost of one year of annual dues (if you get three friends to become members (just have them give the rep your name and AOPA number.))

So, here is the challenge: I challenge each of you to either become a member of AOPA yourself or find at least one other person to join. It's that simple.

There are so many benefits to becoming a member, plus the help in funding these fights that help us all! For specifics on member benefits, see the AOPA website here: http://www.aopa.org/

Regards,

Many of the pilots on this board are AOPA members. I am a strong supporter of GA and this whole Meigs castastrophe just reinforces my support.

I quit AOPA after being a long-time member. I came back, and quit again. Probably the one single thing that did it for me was sitting through days of hearings on the SFAR Grand Canyon airspace some years ago. It was the very poor and weak presentation and showing put up by AOPA...perhaps the weakest of any presented.

Perhaps it was the insurance programs offered to pilots...that don't cover pilots when flying an airplane. Or the constant expensive glitzy ads trying to gain membership, or repeatedly sent to members in error...which could have been spent on better uses.

I am an aircraft builder, and was an EAA flight counselor, but I let that lapse, too. I was disgusted at the high prices charged for Oshkosh, and the requirement put out to make everyone through the gate an EAA member in order to boost numbers for a better PAC showing in congress. Not at all what Paul Poberezney set out to do at the outset.

I'm not saying they don't do any good: they do. However, they've become too big and bloated, and ineffectual for their intent. Too much talk, not enough do.

Avbug,

Are you saying that the 39-bucks a year could be spent better somewhere else to support our aviation endeavours?

joel

Blatant commercial solicitation??? Blah. :)

I am not soliciting anything for myself, just supporting a group that I believe in. There is no difference between my recitation of accolades above and saying that I just bought a cool, new GPS by XXX, you guys should also consider buying it because it provides these feature. No difference.

Call this a product endorsement if you'd like. :)

Aopa

Aopa is the best service avaliable for general aviation, i am a proud memeber and i urge every single student of mine to do the same.
thanks Aopa for everything.
fulcrum

avbug said:
I'm not saying they don't do any good: they do. However, they've become too big and bloated, and ineffectual for their intent. Too much talk, not enough do.

I do believe they have plenty to do right now.

Latest resources

Back