• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

binding arbitration for Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A "DC9 refugee" is a DAL junior pilot jargon(~~~^~~~) for " I am all for the good things of this merger but not the bad."

The flow down to Mesaba and Compass are in place in the new JPWA. There is also a no-furlough clause.

Isn't it funny how they like to speculate as fact the -9s are being parked even though all indications point otherwise? We might as well speculate how all those really old/inefficient 767s will get parked. It has just as much credibility.

Schwanker

Schwanker:

I'm just doing my own reasoning based on numbers. In the past the numbers have driven the eventual outcomes (despite political window dressing to the contrary). When an airplane has 40% higher CASM than other surplus airframes in the fleet it appears to me the answer is obvious.... But, you are right, could be the 767's. They are marginally less productive than A330's. But Delta's dumping a billion into refitting the interiors and buying winglet mods. Seems they would cancel that instead of spending money to make them more efficient. It will take several years to make back the cost through fuel savings.

I love your DC9's and hope they stay on the property for eternity. I'd bid the left seat when I could. But, it would be prudent to be prepared for their phase out.

We don't expect V1 cuts on line do we? However, we are prepared to deal with them. We should have a plan, through scope, commuter policies, and furlough methodology to deal with the inevitable fleet rationalization that will happen.

When our airline furloughs, this SLI will be ugly because we will literally be assigning pink slips. It would be better if we design our contract to make this as painless as possible.

The Delta pilots are convinced that NWA's fleet brings furloughs to the table. In my mind it is an open debate. If Delta's PWA requires greater staffing, it would be my guess that the DAL staffing model carried forward into the JPWA, but I don't know.

Last edited:
Schwanker:

I'm just doing my own reasoning based on numbers. In the past the numbers have driven the eventual outcomes (despite political window dressing to the contrary). When an airplane has 40% higher CASM than other surplus airframes in the fleet it appears to me the answer is obvious.... But, you are right, could be the 767's. They are marginally less productive than A330's. But Delta's dumping a billion into refitting the interiors and buying winglet mods. Seems they would cancel that instead of spending money to make them more efficient. It will take several years to make back the cost through fuel savings.

Hey,
I'm not even suggesting the parking of 767s. The point is it has just as much credibility as those speculating (or stating as fact) the DC-9 fleet will disappear overnight, even though all indications say different.

Schwanker

This seniority arbitration is a no-win situation.

No matter who the "winner" is, the resentment and bitterness of the losers will be reminiscent of the USAirways debacle.

Anyone who disagrees want to place a bet?

Well Frank, it is very interesting. Thought you would love to watch ALPA negotiate for ALPA.

The reason for doing the JPWA agreement first is to obligate the membership to accept a contract regardless of the SLI outcome. This helps prevent a US Air style decertification drive to try to escape a bad SLI.

The secret the easties discovered is that it is easier to vote out the entire union, than to vote out a Rep, or change an MEC. As a union buster, you should appreciate what you see going on around you.

IMHO we'd be better off getting scope so regular folks understand that there is an advantage to being in a union.

Well Frank, it is very interesting. Thought you would love to watch ALPA negotiate for ALPA.

The reason for doing the JPWA agreement first is to obligate the membership to accept a contract regardless of the SLI outcome. This helps prevent a US Air style decertification drive to try to escape a bad SLI.

The secret the easties discovered is that it is easier to vote out the entire union, than to vote out a Rep, or change an MEC. As a union buster, you should appreciate what you see going on around you.

IMHO we'd be better off getting scope so regular folks understand that there is an advantage to being in a union.

Fins...ALPA is the best union buster management could ever want.....We have designed a system that forces us to fight each other.....

Fins...ALPA is the best union buster management could ever want.....We have designed a system that forces us to fight each other.....

The two sides seem to have worked together this round to knock out the JPWA, did they not? I agree in some ways we can be pinned against one another at times but unions are a necessary evil in this industry.

So far the NWA/DAL MECs have far outpaced the Usair mess. Lets hope it keeps up!!

The two sides seem to have worked together this round to knock out the JPWA, did they not? I agree in some ways we can be pinned against one another at times but unions are a necessary evil in this industry.

So far the NWA/DAL MECs have far outpaced the Usair mess. Lets hope it keeps up!!

....get back to me after the new list is negotiated and the furloughs start....

I've heard most of SLI has been negotiated and an arbitrator will merely be deciding the final "tweaking" of the list.

....get back to me after the new list is negotiated and the furloughs start....

Sure champ!! The two sides worked together to get this TA ratified and you cant stand that your Union Bashing just doesnt hold water in this situation. Are you nervous the two sides might have worked together to tighten up section 1 without your "approval"? Get back to me on that,...:cool:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back