• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Bike you have or would like to have

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bailey or RC, don't know it would be a good one though. The best SX I have seen was Bailey and Rick Johson at Dallas about '87 I think. It was back and forth the entire race. What was the best was that they both rode clean and never nailed each other in corners, and they could have. Two very classey guys! This brings up a ?, does any of the Big 5 have a Corp AC? I think Parts Unlimited out of Ashville, NC had a Citation or something. And, I think Dense Kirk flew their guys around in some type of AC when they had a farm team.

Ah ... Jean-Michelle Bayle. He was smoking everyone before Stanton, Bradshaw, Kiedrowski, Larocco, et al started winning in 250 SX and 125 outdoor. Back then, the US was considered an also-ran in MX. This all changed with Stanton dominating in the early 90s.

Speaking of foreigners ... what ever happened to that Albertyn guy from South Africa who was on the Suzuki Team in the mid 90s? He was supposed to come over and kick everyone's ass (even McGrath) but I got out of it soon after he came over.

Useless MX trivia ...

Hurricane Hannah now air races in a P-51 replica. Or at least he did for a while.

Mike Kiedrowski's running buddy and fellow racer, who I saw race at Lake Whitney in the 80s was Robbie Van Winkle. AKA Vanilla Ice.

:D

Minh

Last edited:
US MX an also-ran in the 90's? What about the US starting domance in MX starting in '81, with the win at the MX and Trophy des Nations? I think the team was Johnny O', Jim Gibson and Chuck Sun. Also that year, Brad Lackey won the 500cc World Championship.

Yeah, Bayle came over and kicked ass, but, if I remember right, Jeff Stanton still won the SX Championship over Bayle in '91.

I think Greg Albertyn retired at the end of last year.

I remember racing "Vanilla Ice" at Whitney back then. We were ridding in the 250 Intermediate class. He was not exactly the Factory Honda rider he said he was. Don't get me wrong, he was fast. Not on par with the Texas hot shoes like Dennis Hawthorn and Clay Hoenshell back then.

On the basis of this thread I am going to indefinitely forgo marriage an buy a bike........Well, at least after I'm unfurloughed, and after I'm off probationary wages, yadda yadda yadda. I like those CBRs. A lot.

Bike

I would love to have my Yamaha R-6 Back. That was as comfy on one wheel as it was on two. All metal polished and what couldn't be polished was chromed. That was a fun ride.

:D I have a CBR600F4i and a CBR600RR i love both of my yellow babys. They are both comfortable on one wheel and two. The 600RR has a larger better swing arm. The 600RR topped out at 150mph. I wish they had black decals on the RRs.

dream bike?

my overall plan is to have a chopper made of course, but with one nice big option. A single cylinder.

none of this harley derived engine crap. get the real thumper.
ONE cylinder from a R-4360. Who needs two balls when you have one enormous one announcing its presence.

Thump.......Thump.....Thump.....

people would know youre arriving.

1977 H-D XR-750

That's about the only HD I'd spend money on. I fell in love with one back in the day.

I could also be talked into the Sportster 1200S with the XR paintjob I saw at the SDF Harley dealer. It's funny, though - I talk about a 1200 Sportster and EVERYBODY tells me I'm too big for it (6'-3).

Go over to europe - every dam' bike is smaller than that. The orient too.

I got a 73 CB-750 that has been in the family since new. Was the biggest thing you could buy before the Lead Wing. Blew the doors off both Japan and England. That 1200 Sportster's way bigger than that.

Also have a 1979 XS-11. And another for parts. Wicked fast but no suspension or brakes - you have to plan way ahead, kind of like an airplane.

Boys - my advice: NEVER SELL your bikes. Just get more of them. I sold my VFR-750 when I got married in 1991. For furniture money. I miss it to this day.

Power Cruisers for Me...

Got a 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan Mean Streak. Twice as fast as a stock Harley for 1/2 the price (Almost).

Latest resources

Back