Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Big Unions: Introduce an Act the Would Release Aviation from The Railway Labor Act

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Voice Of Reason

Reading Is Fundamental !
Maybe I've missed a class in government, but I am wondering why gigantic unions like ALPA, with all their lobbyists, haven't done anything toward eliminating the Railway Labor Act from pertaining to aviation?

That is one of the single biggest hindrances to this profession, (and now that out goverment is controlled by a union-approved and supported group), why has this not happened in ALL these years????

Why not lobby for the elimination of it and creation of a more applicable system (and more labor friendly) that does not exempt its workers from the basic privileges and work rules most other occupations are privy to.

Why is it acceptable to not be paid during ALL hours of duty? (Note: per diem is not hourly pay, it is per diem). How is there not rioting in Washington over this insane travesty?

THIS is the biggest issue you should be demanding that your unions immediately force their PAID LOBBYISTS (who no doubt have politicians in their pockets who can take it to the finish line) to aggressively pursue full time.

PASS IT ON and do NOT let it die....if everyone keeps this in the forefront and not hold an apathetic attitude this CAN be changed!

Last edited:
From what I have been told it is fear of the unknown.
I know that a lot of people in ALPA that I have talked to are worried that the new law would be a lot worse to deal with than the RLA.

Maybe I've missed a class in government, but I am wondering why gigantic unions like ALPA, with all their lobbyists, haven't done anything toward eliminating the Railway Labor Act from pertaining to aviation?

That is one of the single biggest hindrances to this profession, (and now that out goverment is controlled by a union-approved and supported group), why has this not happened in ALL these years????

Why not lobby for the elimination of it and creation of a more applicable system (and more labor friendly) that does not exempt its workers from the basic privileges and work rules most other occupations are privy to.

Why is it acceptable to not be paid during ALL hours of duty? (Note: per diem is not hourly pay, it is per diem). How is there not rioting in Washington over this insane travesty?

THIS is the biggest issue you should be demanding that your unions immediately force their PAID LOBBYISTS (who no doubt have politicians in their pockets who can take it to the finish line) to aggressively pursue full time.

PASS IT ON and do NOT let it die....if everyone keeps this in the forefront and not hold an apathetic attitude this CAN be changed!

It gives the union(s) the right to strike. Think you want to lose that right and go to "Baseball Arbitration Style" tactics?
The threat of a strike is the only real power against renegade management types the union has. And even then it takes years to impose it if the president allows it.

What good is a right if you can never exercise it? All a mediator has to say is "nope, no impasse here" and well, you cant start the 30-day clock to self-help.

The unions right to strike is hollow at best...

The reason is simple.....They knew there wasn't a chance in He!! of it passing with GWB at the helm and when Clinton was in office the Senate and House of Reps. was republican controlled.

Now we have the supporters in the right positions to get this thing done. NOW IS THE TIME FOR UNIONS TO get back the CEO's bonus and put it to work for themselves.

It gives the union(s) the right to strike. Think you want to lose that right and go to "Baseball Arbitration Style" tactics?
The threat of a strike is the only real power against renegade management types the union has. And even then it takes years to impose it if the president allows it.

Doubt seriously this would happen with the dems controlling the house, senate and WH.

Drastically altering or elimination the RLA needs to be a top priority in the next 2 yrs.

With dems controlling everything there is no reason why it can't be accomplished.

So why are you posting this here?

Last I checked, I believe that ALPA's pilots provided direction to its respective MEC's and then that direction flowed upward to ALPA National. I assume all of you that took the time to post here about desiring changes in the RLA have also written the appropriate resolution so that your leadership, who probably don't read flightinfo.com, know what you want? I imagine such a resolution would pass unanimously, and you don't have to actually show up for a Union meeting to floor a resolution.

The law of unintended consequences

You proponents of getting out from under the Railway Labor Law might want to consider this.

Any Tom, Dick, and Harry union would then be free to strike when ever they wanted. How would you like to be out of work frequently because the mechanics or the flight attendants or the rampers decide to strike.

The chaos would be worse than what you have now. The reason for the Law in the first place was to keep the railroads running. Before highways were built the only intercity traffic was on the railroads. The early airlines were closely controlled by the Commerce Department and then the CAB. If an airline went on strike many cities would have no service at all since many places only had one airline serving it much like only one railroad in town. Authorizing a substitute carrier was slow and cumberson. That era is over but if you want to be off the payroll frequently because some other labor group on your airline decides to strike, well go for it. Lose the protection that the RLA provides you and that would be the result. IMHO.

Last I checked, I believe that ALPA's pilots provided direction to its respective MEC's and then that direction flowed upward to ALPA National. I assume all of you that took the time to post here about desiring changes in the RLA have also written the appropriate resolution so that your leadership, who probably don't read flightinfo.com, know what you want? I imagine such a resolution would pass unanimously, and you don't have to actually show up for a Union meeting to floor a resolution.

Age 65 was opposed by the majority of members and yet ALPA National supported it. That hardly supports your bottom up theory.

Latest resources

Back