• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Big People in Small Planes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
*lol* This thread has just gotten too interesting...

SammyG and hoop - you will have to give an update and let us know how it went.

hoop said:
dhc8fo,

Is this a common practice with people this big?

I have no idea. I don't take people who are too big for my seats. I have only had to deal with my father in law on this issue so far. I just made a huge deal about how tiny our plane is and how important it is to have a balanced genter of gravity.

Usually, if you tell someone that having the plane out of CG could cause a crash under the right conditions, they are quick to change their mind. (I am more tactful than that though)

I have this problem when I fly corporate. One of the planes I have has a TERRIBLE useful load/CG problem. I just straight up tell the guys that I am there to ensure a safe flight, and unless the biggest guy sits in the most forward chair (facing backwards, which he hates), then we can't go because we are putting ourselves into a situation where we could kill ourselves under the right circumstances. No one complains. It also gives them a little healthy respect for things they never thought about with flying since they aren't pilots.

Just do your numbers, move some stuff around, ballast is a great idea, I do that often. If your numbers are good, then take the poor guy flying. The tabs on a PA28 is 36 gallons, right? Go fly the plane for an hour or so and then come back and take him up for an hour. Plenty of fuel left for that and then you will probably be in CG.

Hey SammyG, do you know anyone with a bigger plane? Then you can take her up with someone else and not have to tell her that she is too fat. Just maybe tell her that the 172 is broke/taken/whatever.

Then you may even get MORE kudos becuase you went out of your way to find her a way to fly when you were not able to fly her yourself (little does she know that it was WAY more out of your way)....

dhc8fo said:
The tabs on a PA28 is 36 gallons, right? Go fly the plane for an hour or so and then come back and take him up for an hour. Plenty of fuel left for that and then you will probably be in CG.

36 would be correct.
Tabs on a PA28 are 17 usable each side. 18 total.

Just remember, it ain't over till the fat lady sings!

PacoPollo said:
Take her on the middle of the day when its hot outside. That way she can shed
a few xtra pounds in the 172.
If she is a sweet lady, maybe he should take her out dancing more often, preferably before the flight.

I used to fly scenic tours in C172's and I flew some very very large people. We had this unwritten rule "If you can get them in the plane, it will fly" I did on occasion tell people that they were too big, It wasn't an easy thing to say but what are your options? One problem with flying with big people is the seatbelt, the standard seatbelt won't fit around them (use a seatblet extender).

dhc8fo said:
Hey SammyG, do you know anyone with a bigger plane? Then you can take her up with someone else and not have to tell her that she is too fat. Just maybe tell her that the 172 is broke/taken/whatever.

Then you may even get MORE kudos becuase you went out of your way to find her a way to fly when you were not able to fly her yourself (little does she know that it was WAY more out of your way)....

I agree, a 172 won't cut it.
This may work though..

http://www.cybermodeler.net/aircraft/c-97/images/guppies2.jpg

Latest resources

Back