Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

WillFlyFoCookie

On Wisconsin
Of all places I'm turning to Flightinfo for advice on my career! I'm just at somewhat of a stalemate right now and usually have a hard time deciding what's the best career path for me. Here goes:

I currently work at a very small 121 company and live close to where I'm based. I'm the typical relatively young and relatively starving FO. In about a month I'll be in upgrade which won't pay much more (about $7 per hour) but I'll be getting that all important turbine PIC. It'll be long days and gone often but I will be in the left seat which I've been craving for quite a while. I really like the people that I get to work with and the company in the end has treated me great. The experience has been everything I've ever asked it to be. However I don't really see the pay and benefits ever being enough to sustain me for my whole career. If I stayed here, my hope in a few years would be to eventually go to a place like Southwest.

On the other hand I have this job offer from Netjets. I would start before the TA is ratified. I like the new pay and really think that I could live off of it for the duration of my career. Even the FO pay would be just fine for quite a while. I looks like I would be grandfathered in with the TA and be able to do the home basing which would certainly improve my quality of life. I would almost certainly spend more days at home which would be great as well. I do like the idea of the flying that Netjets does: not going the same place all the time, greater interaction with the customer, and much better resources available to you.

So those are my choices. Where I'm at we may grow and get bigger equipment and better pay. What I'd miss the most would be getting in the left seat (and the great people). There's also the distinct possibility that we could go out of business, we certainly haven't made any money in over 4 years. If I go to Netjets, I really would be saying "goodbye forever" to being an airline pilot. Not that the being an airline pilot is nearly as great as most of friends and family seem to think. Also it looks like at Netjets the left seat would be quite a few years down the road.

So I'll stop rambling and begin to hopefully recieve some of that expert feedback from all my peers on Flightinfo!

WillFlyFoCookie said:
.........................If I stayed here, my hope in a few years would be to eventually go to a place like Southwest.

On the other hand I have this job offer from Netjets. I would start before the TA is ratified. I like the new pay and really think that I could live off of it for the duration of my career. Even the FO pay would be just fine for quite a while. I looks like I would be grandfathered in with the TA and be able to do the home basing which would certainly improve my quality of life. I would almost certainly spend more days at home which would be great as well. I do like the idea of the flying that Netjets does: not going the same place all the time, greater interaction with the customer, and much better resources available to you.

So those are my choices. Where I'm at we may grow and get bigger equipment and better pay. What I'd miss the most would be getting in the left seat (and the great people). There's also the distinct possibility that we could go out of business, we certainly haven't made any money in over 4 years. If I go to Netjets, I really would be saying "goodbye forever" to being an airline pilot. Not that the being an airline pilot is nearly as great as most of friends and family seem to think. Also it looks like at Netjets the left seat would be quite a few years down the road. ........................................
Not to be harsh but..........................................
Guys like you drive me nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You like the type of flying NetJets does but you'd eventually like to go to a place like SWA??. You like the new pay and sked at NJA but should you stay at a place which may or may not be in business in a couple years??. BTW the NJA pay still sucks!!! You'll realize that in a couple years. Why would you be saying goodbye to the airlines forever if you went to NJA??? Do some research!! How do you know how long it'll take to get into the left seat at NJA??? The guys who work there now don't have any idea (because no one (pilot types) really knows what future growth will be). Bottom line is : YOU need to set a goal, Where to I want to be in 10 years? and then set out on a plan to achieve it. I'd hate to have a V1 cut with you right now, should I abort or should I go?? Its your life and you are the one in command of it make a decision and deal with the ramifications.

If they have offered take it.
You said that even on current FO pay you could live and you would pickup a type in the process.
Lots of ex DO328Jet pilots over here from ACA/Indy.

I'd take it - in fact I am trying to do the exact same thing. PM me if you like - my situation is almost exactly the same as yours except I really don't have any need to go to an airline down the road, I could be real happy at NJA.

I definitely don't need to go to a major airline down the road either! I said only IF I stay where I'm at would I look for a place like SWA down the road. I really believe Netjets could be just as good in its own way. By the way, what DO you guys think I should do when I get my next V1 cut? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
WillFlyFoCookie said:
By the way, what DO you guys like I should do when I get my next V1 cut? :rolleyes:

To quote "Airplane!", "The decision to continue is yours...."

Actually, if you've still got some NetJets questions, feel free to PM me.

I would stay and get the PIC turbine....I have many friends that don't have the majic 1000 hours and are kicking themselves because they had the opportunity but didn't do it or stick with it. If you go to Netjets now you are guarenteed to not upgrade for a long time....get the pic then go to Netjets, Flexjet or whatever....

The key thing is that you said that you would be flying alot so you should build that time fairly quickly.....get the turbine time and then make the move.....it only opens up your options down the road...but if your like 55 or 60 or something like that, I'd go to Netjets...really depends on where you are at in your career

remember that the grass is always greener on the other side.....(but only at the front gate.....)

Lear-

Latest resources

Back