• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Big meeting: Skywest, ASA/XJet, Alpa, SAPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My number one concern is SAFELY getting my passengers to their destination. Several dispatch coordinators always insist I "have to take the A/C with no APU, or one pack", to get it in to MX. Yet, that A/C is already in a MX base(SLC)!!!!!!!!!

So, you say you "ALWAYS take into consideration every little factor", and yet you want me to fly around an A/C all day long with a single pack, or no APU to get that broken A/C into a different MX base?

I really don't think you guys get how bad the 200 packs are, especially the oldest 200's. We just had one couple of days ago that didn't have MEL'd packs or an inop APU and we still had people complaining every leg that it was too hot. The temps outside weren't even that hot anymore, and the peace of crap still wouldn't cool down, even running the APU during turns. It is not reasonable to expect us to fly these piles into the hottest destinations in the system in the summer with either single pack or no APU, not matter what the company "tasks" you with!!!!

:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :puke:

XPOO has a gut full of koolaid.

It has to be difficult, to be in SGU HDQ, with a 7-11 grade Slurpee, Kool-Aid dispenser, its a wonder he isn't wrapped in an orange robe begging at an airport(He tried, but the new SGU airport had 2 departures and left him standing around alone).

Very intelligent response... Are you an OO DIPspatcher or coordinator, or just one of their children playing on the internet while signed on under daddies login?

That was the perfect response to your post. You cried and it made me want to vomit. Every single person on this forum could go on and on about crappy days at work, but that is why it is called work and not "happy fun time".

:puke:
That was the perfect response to your post. You cried and it made me want to vomit. Every single person on this forum could go on and on about crappy days at work, but that is why it is called work and not "happy fun time".

WRONG! Your reading comprehension is weak to nonexistent... Had nothing to do with "crappy days at work". I tried to make a point to a dispatcher who was making light of pilot concerns. My concerns are for the passengers, and them not getting to their destinations. Because if dispatch refuses to listen to my concerns the flight will not be going out under those conditions! :rolleyes:

But feel free to vomit anyway(Richard)!:puke:

Last edited:
Ok, ok, ok. I felt like being an A-hole and I guess I succeeded.

I "have to take the A/C with no APU, or one pack", to get it in to MX. Yet, that A/C is already in a MX base(SLC)!!!!!!

Now I will make make a valid response to this statement. Sometimes one MX base attempts to clear an MEL but does not have the correct part in stock. If another base half way across the country has the part it is much more reliable to bring the plane to the part and not the other way around. If there is time left on the deferral they are not going to cancel flights and lose revenue trying to get the part to the plane only to find out that it was lost in shipping and now the plane is stuck longer.

On a lighter note, cooler weather is coming and the planes usually dont have a problem heating! :beer:

My number one concern is SAFELY getting my passengers to their destination. Several dispatch coordinators always insist I "have to take the A/C with no APU, or one pack", to get it in to MX. Yet, that A/C is already in a MX base(SLC)!!!!!!!!!

No one is forcing you to do anything. If you refuse the aircraft, you refuse the aircraft. What I'm saying is, we both have jobs to do. SkyWest is routing 90 aircraft a day in for maintenance, out of 321 aircraft total. That's over 25% of all aircraft. Do you see what kind of odds we are dealing with here? Add in the fact that most of our maintenance bases are in the desert southwest and its nearly insurmountable odds every summer.
So, you say you "ALWAYS take into consideration every little factor", and yet you want me to fly around an A/C all day long with a single pack, or no APU to get that broken A/C into a different MX base?

When you say a different maintenance base, I assume you are talking about moving a plane from a hub, like SLC to...TUS? Ceratin maintenance bases do certain things everynight, whether it be ADs, REOs, or a bevy of inspections. If there are three APU defered aircraft in the SLC system, it's highly unlikely that SLC can fix all three. Its a very delicate tip-toe game we play everyday when routing aircraft for special needs. There are no personal vendettas involved, and again, no one is forcing you to do anything.

I really don't think you guys get how bad the 200 packs are, especially the oldest 200's. We just had one couple of days ago that didn't have MEL'd packs or an inop APU and we still had people complaining every leg that it was too hot. The temps outside weren't even that hot anymore, and the peace of crap still wouldn't cool down, even running the APU during turns. It is not reasonable to expect us to fly these piles into the hottest destinations in the system in the summer with either single pack or no APU, not matter what the company "tasks" you with!!!!

So you don't suppose I've even been on a 200 from SGU to SLC with a pack defered in the middle of the summer? I know exactly how bad it is. The pack deferral is a two-edge sword. A FL restriction that causes the aircraft to chew through more fuel than normal on longer flights, but no ability to cool off the aircraft on shorter routes that never meet that FL cap.

No one gets any enjoyment around here keeping these aircraft online. I have to spend 10 hours a year in a cockpit. I wish pilots had to spend 10 hours a year in dispatch. It would do us all some good.

I wish pilots had to spend 10 hours a year in dispatch. It would do us all some good.

not required, we already know everything you do, and how to do your job, plus the Co would have to pay big $$$ for us chariot drivers :D

not required, we already know everything you do, and how to do your job, plus the Co would have to pay big $$$ for us chariot drivers :D

Knowing what the job entails, and knowing how the job is actually accomplished, are two different things. Your experience in the cockpit is pretty useless outside a cockpit, and is definitely not useful for managing a large fleet of airplanes, flights, and crews.

But you're omniscient, so you're welcome to try.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back