Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Bidding/Hiring preference for multi-lingual pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

altimaklr

I know it's quite common for airlines to give bidding preference to Flight Attendants who speak a particular language (i.e. a junior Chinese speaking FA would be allowed to work flights to China even if their seniority wouldn't hold it).

Is it ever the case that pilots are allowed to fly certain routes overseas due to their language ability even if their seniority would not normally allow? Is speaking other langauges a big plus during hiring? With all the flights being added to China, it got me wondering...

altimaklr said:
I know it's quite common for airlines to give bidding preference to Flight Attendants who speak a particular language (i.e. a junior Chinese speaking FA would be allowed to work flights to China even if their seniority wouldn't hold it).

Is it ever the case that pilots are allowed to fly certain routes overseas due to their language ability even if their seniority would not normally allow? Is speaking other langauges a big plus during hiring? With all the flights being added to China, it got me wondering...

No, since all of the ATC people around the world are supposed to speak English. IF you can't speak English, then you have a problem. Also, going off in the native tounge while in a 3 man crew or even a two man crew may make the other pilot(s) nervous. It is better to keep everyone in the loop. You might think you know what you are saying, but instead of saying "Good Morning Shanghi approach...." you actually said "Hey Commie dorks, why don't you try to shoot us down. Your Migs $uck compared to our F-15s. Why don't you tap one of our mighty P-3s again." It is best to say "Good morning" in their language, and that is it.

Bye Bye--General Lee

actually if you can speak YAAAAHOOOO.....southwest will hire you!

General Lee said:
No, since all of the ATC people around the world are supposed to speak English. IF you can't speak English, then you have a problem. Also, going off in the native tounge while in a 3 man crew or even a two man crew may make the other pilot(s) nervous. It is better to keep everyone in the loop. You might think you know what you are saying, but instead of saying "Good Morning Shanghi approach...." you actually said "Hey Commie dorks, why don't you try to shoot us down. Your Migs $uck compared to our F-15s. Why don't you tap one of our mighty P-3s again." It is best to say "Good morning" in their language, and that is it.

Bye Bye--General Lee

The best part about that P-3 fiasco was that the chinese pilot's name was Wong Wei

Sorry if you don't like the question but does anybody else have an opinion?

Last edited:
Sorry the opinion you got was not to your likey.

The General is right. Bidding is by seniority. It's not a birthright.

Now, if you speak Czechoslovakian, and you have enough gold medallions, you might have some luck at the Fox Bar. It works for me and my swinging brother Yergy.

Last edited:
Habilidades en idiomas no valen nada para pilotos, excepto ayudar las abuelitas encontrar sus ascientos o sacar el cuero del co-piloto con las azafatas que tambien hablan.

Last edited:
Widow's Son said:
Habilidades en idiomas no valen nada para pilotos, excepto ayudar las abuelitas encontrar sus ascientos o sacar el cuero del co-piloto con las azafatas que tambien hablan.
Que es "ascientos"? Que es "azafatas"?

>>No castigate el mono<<

Cierto! En nuestra industria, los monos siempre estan enamorandose con futboles.

Ademas, yo he sido casado por demasiado tiempo para tener suficiente coordinacion entre ojo y mano y me falta la fuerza de muneca, si me entiendes.

>>Que es "ascientos"? Que es "azafatas"?<<

Sorry, bad speller in any language. Asiento is "seat". Azafata is "stewardess"

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back