• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Bidding/Hiring preference for multi-lingual pilots?

altimaklr

Total Time
I know it's quite common for airlines to give bidding preference to Flight Attendants who speak a particular language (i.e. a junior Chinese speaking FA would be allowed to work flights to China even if their seniority wouldn't hold it).

Is it ever the case that pilots are allowed to fly certain routes overseas due to their language ability even if their seniority would not normally allow? Is speaking other langauges a big plus during hiring? With all the flights being added to China, it got me wondering...

General Lee

Total Time
A lot
altimaklr said:
I know it's quite common for airlines to give bidding preference to Flight Attendants who speak a particular language (i.e. a junior Chinese speaking FA would be allowed to work flights to China even if their seniority wouldn't hold it).

Is it ever the case that pilots are allowed to fly certain routes overseas due to their language ability even if their seniority would not normally allow? Is speaking other langauges a big plus during hiring? With all the flights being added to China, it got me wondering...

No, since all of the ATC people around the world are supposed to speak English. IF you can't speak English, then you have a problem. Also, going off in the native tounge while in a 3 man crew or even a two man crew may make the other pilot(s) nervous. It is better to keep everyone in the loop. You might think you know what you are saying, but instead of saying "Good Morning Shanghi approach...." you actually said "Hey Commie dorks, why don't you try to shoot us down. Your Migs $uck compared to our F-15s. Why don't you tap one of our mighty P-3s again." It is best to say "Good morning" in their language, and that is it.

Bye Bye--General Lee

bearcat

Total Time
enough
actually if you can speak YAAAAHOOOO.....southwest will hire you!

viper548

Total Time
General Lee said:
No, since all of the ATC people around the world are supposed to speak English. IF you can't speak English, then you have a problem. Also, going off in the native tounge while in a 3 man crew or even a two man crew may make the other pilot(s) nervous. It is better to keep everyone in the loop. You might think you know what you are saying, but instead of saying "Good Morning Shanghi approach...." you actually said "Hey Commie dorks, why don't you try to shoot us down. Your Migs $uck compared to our F-15s. Why don't you tap one of our mighty P-3s again." It is best to say "Good morning" in their language, and that is it.

Bye Bye--General Lee

The best part about that P-3 fiasco was that the chinese pilot's name was Wong Wei

Capt. Pneumonia

Total Time
Sorry if you don't like the question but does anybody else have an opinion?

Last edited:

Ty Webb

Hostage to Fortune
Total Time
11000+
Sorry the opinion you got was not to your likey.

The General is right. Bidding is by seniority. It's not a birthright.

Now, if you speak Czechoslovakian, and you have enough gold medallions, you might have some luck at the Fox Bar. It works for me and my swinging brother Yergy.

Last edited:

Widow's Son

Total Time
Habilidades en idiomas no valen nada para pilotos, excepto ayudar las abuelitas encontrar sus ascientos o sacar el cuero del co-piloto con las azafatas que tambien hablan.

Last edited:

TonyC

Frederick's Happy Face
Total Time
>8,000
Widow's Son said:
Habilidades en idiomas no valen nada para pilotos, excepto ayudar las abuelitas encontrar sus ascientos o sacar el cuero del co-piloto con las azafatas que tambien hablan.
Que es "ascientos"? Que es "azafatas"?

Widow's Son

Total Time
>>No castigate el mono<<

Cierto! En nuestra industria, los monos siempre estan enamorandose con futboles.

Ademas, yo he sido casado por demasiado tiempo para tener suficiente coordinacion entre ojo y mano y me falta la fuerza de muneca, si me entiendes.

>>Que es "ascientos"? Que es "azafatas"?<<

Sorry, bad speller in any language. Asiento is "seat". Azafata is "stewardess"

Last edited:

Pelican 10

PELICAN 10
Total Time
12000+
...en otras palabras...o me dejas las huevas quietas o te las metes en la jeta y me las lambes hasta que te sepan a flores !